Thursday, May 14, 2020

Not so fast!

—Yesterday, Wednesday, May 13th, I took Killian, my silly dog, for a long walk on Ontario Pathways in Canandaigua.
Slightly over 3.2 miles; which might be getting to be too much for someone 76 years old.
Someone told me what matters, when it comes to walking dogs, is not distance, but sniffing. To which I say more sniffing occurs over longer distances.
Ontario Pathways is a 14-mile drive to Canandaigua. My dog barks the whole way.
There are other things I can do in Canandaigua. Supper takeout from a restaurant, and also a visit to my pet-supply, where they love Killian.
“Such a ham!” the manager exclaims.
“You're not the first one that said that,” I respond.
That pet-supply is also where Cutie-Pie works, extraordinarily cute with sparkling eyes and a smile that brightens the store.
I visited that pet-supply last week, and Cutie-Pie wasn't there. Victim of COVID-19 mayhap?
Yesterday she was, just she and the guy doing check out.
The store is dead, but I’m allowed in with a mask.
“Killian!” she shrieked.
“I thought you mighta been laid off,” I said to her.
In one ear and out the other. She and Killian were having a grand time.
“I was here last week, but you weren’t,” I added.
Again, in one ear and out the other. She was more interested in fussing Killian.
Even at age 76 I have no idea how to interact with women. Someone told me once the chick-magnets were dogs and babies.
Killian was doing extremely well, but his owner was falling flat.
A few weeks ago I visited that pet store without Killian. She made me feel really good.
“Where’s Killian?” she shrieked, followed by “it sure is pleasant seeing you again.”
Mask or not her eyes were smiling.
“You too,” I said. 10 years ago I couldna done that. She ate it up.
So here I was, surprised to see her again. Hoping to continue our good vibes.
Nope! I was second fiddle to Killian.
I wasn't about to try to offset that.
Let it go! This is how things are with women, and much as I enjoy their company I can get by without.
I also know I’ll probably see her again, but without Killian. She’ll fuss over me = Killian’s owner.
But if I have Killian, let her fuss over Killian.
76 years I been on this planet, and I’m clueless dealing with women.
“Make ‘em laugh!” I’m told. Is that it? What if I have a chick-magnet with me?

• “Killian,” a “rescue Irish-setter,” is my current dog. He’s eleven, and is my seventh Irish-Setter, an extremely lively dog. A “rescue Irish setter” is usually an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. abusive or a puppy-mill. Or perhaps its owner died. (Killian was a divorce victim.) By getting a rescue-dog I avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up. —Killian was fine. He’s my fifth rescue.
• “Ontario Pathways” is an old railroad-grade converted into a hiking trail.
• RE: “10 years ago I couldna done that…..” —Yrs Trly is a graduate of the Hilda Q. Walton School of Gender Relations. NO PRETTY GIRL WILL TALK TO YOU! All males, including you at age-5, are SCUM.” (My parents heartily agreed.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home