Thursday, August 02, 2018

My calendar for August 2018


Amtrak’s westbound Pennsylvanian approaches Plummers Crossing in the notch east of Tyrone.(Photo by BobbaLew.)

Sorry readers. I can’t put the calendar-picture on here due to insanity from PhotoBucket, my usual image-source. I’m trying to set up my own domain to escape PhotoBucket.

—The August 2018 entry in my calendar is Amtrak’s westbound Pennsylvanian through the notch in mountains east of Tyrone.
The Little Juniata also threads that notch. Eastward is toward Harrisburg.
I am at Plummers Crossing, a tiny dirt-track up into the mountains. It’s Plummers Road, which crosses the railroad unprotected by gates or flashing signals.
An abandoned railroad-bridge over the Little Juniata led to a branch up into the mountains. It wasn’t Pennsy’s old Bald Eagle branch, which starts in Tyrone — but I’m less than a mile from Tyrone.
Pennsy’s old Bald Eagle is now the Nittany & Bald Eagle shortline, although Norfolk Southern has trackage-rights. It’s built-to-the-hilt to support heavy Norfolk Southern coal-trains.
I’ve wanted this Plummers shot for years. Strong telephoto brings in old Pennsy signals in the notch. From Harrisburg west to Altoona is uphill, but not challenging. It’s a river-grade; it follows the Juniata.
Altoona is at the foot of Allegheny Mountain, the highest elevation the railroad crossed in PA. Allegheny Mountain was long-ago the barrier to east-west trade for Philadelphia.
Who knows how many times I set up my tripod at this location? Strong telephoto needs my tripod. Lighting can also be difficult, especially if it’s cloudy; which turns the notch into a dungeon.
“07T,” whatever, “CLEAR!” on my railroad-radio scanner. He’s coming; then I hear him call the signal visible in my photograph. He’s on his horn almost immediately for Plummers.
“BAMP-BAMP-BAM-BAMP!” Two longs, a short, then a long = approaching a road-crossing.
Amtrak’s Pennsylvanian is the only passenger-train left on this fabled line. There used to be hundreds; all-stops locals and luxo limiteds.
I took multiple shots, but not motor-drive. In the one I used the front of the P42DC is in a small shaft of sunlight. At 5 p.m. or so most of that notch is in shadow.
07T in sunlight through that notch is a lucky shot, although somewhat intentional. I noticed the train was in sunlight, so BAM!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home