Thursday, August 02, 2018

200 mph!

“Them tires are good for 200 mph,” bragged my niece’s ex regarding tires on a Ford Taurus he finagled for my niece’s mother.
“And where, pray tell, do you expect to attain 200 mph?” I snapped.
I doubt a V6 Taurus could do 200 mph. 120, maybe even 130. Four doors, 3,500 pounds or more, maybe even 4,000+. 200 mph is an 800+ horsepower mega-V8 in a 2,000 pound car. Approach 200 mph and ya also gotta make sure the car doesn’t fly.
Car and Driver magazine tried to get 200 mph out of a turbocharged Firebird. It took off, flipped, and destroyed the car. The driver survived, thanks to roll-cage protection.
There are interstates straight enough for 200 mph, assuming no traffic. Portions of the NY Thruway could accommodate 200 mph if no one else was on the road.
A Jaguar ad on the back of a recent Car and Driver celebrates the fact its F-type SVR can do 200 mph. Stuck in traffic on a Houston freeway is hardly 200 mph.
I did the math. 14 miles to Canandaigua takes 25 minutes. That’s .56 miles-per-minute, 33.6 mph average. There are portions I hit 60 or so, but also farm-equipment, stop-signs, and Granny plodding along. I suppose I could hurl caution to the winds, and shave maybe a minute or two. That ups my average to over 36 mph.
LA-DEE-DAH!
200 mph my foot!

“Always follow local speed limits,” the ad says in tiny print. “200 mph” is much larger print. “The only car you’ll wanna drive,” it trumpets.
I set my krooze at 70 on the clock. Some interstates in PA are 70 mph. NY’s speed-limit may be 65 — that is, I don’t remember ever seeing 70, although the Thruway may be 70.
Even at 70+ I get passed. Giant Lincoln Navigators fly by doing 100 perhaps.
But 200? I don’t think so. Does anyone actually take this serious? That Jag can probably hit 200, but ya need an arrow-straight interstate with no traffic. Sooner-or-later ya gotta slow or stop. 200 mph is not the real world.
I used to like fast and powerful cars. But more important now are reliable starting and operation, plus little-or-no shop time.
Sure, I’m gonna go to the supermarket in a 200 mph Jag.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home