Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The beep goes on

When I awoke yesterday morning I heard an ominous beeping in my house; each beep about 30 seconds after the previous beep.
Now what?!
When I finally got up, I checked my cellphone. Perhaps an Amber-Alert.
Nope; “beep” from elsewhere.
I checked all the upstairs smoke-alarms; they like to beep if wonky.
Nope; somewhere else.
I waddled carefully down to my basement — I hafta be careful on steps.
“Beep;” louder. “It’s down here.
It’s that basement smoke-alarm:” “beep!”
That smoke-alarm is hard-wired to a ceiling electrical-box. I need my stepladder: no footstools for this kid!
Before I got the stepladder I had to go to the bathroom, and the toilet plugged.
Next item of business: plunge toilet before getting stepladder. Need to fill a water-bucket; can’t risk an overflow.
Toilet had to be plunged; sometimes a single water-bucket will flush the toilet.
Second water-bucket; I guess it’s flushing. Now the stepladder.
Gingerly take stepladder downstairs to basement. Locate stepladder amidst boxes under smoke-alarm. Stepladder has to be fully expanded, lest I tumble. Relocate some boxes.
Finally able to dicker basement smoke-alarm. Take it down, but can’t unplug it. Need screwdriver to free the plug.
Carefully down stepladder, then back upstairs into garage. Get screwdriver and return to basement. Smoke-alarm unplugged, and taken upstairs. But still “Beep. Beep. Beep.”
Everything on hold. Next is aquacise and Weggers. To do that I hafta daycare my dog, which I do at ********-***** Pet Grooming, operated by **** and **** ********, who I used to work with at the Canandaigua Daily Messenger newspaper.
Meanwhile a web-hosting site I’m beginning wants to know if I got their answer to my question.
“Has to wait,” I responded. “Leave house in five minutes, and two emergencies have arisen.”
My time-window after aquacise/Weggers will hopefully be two hours. At 4:20 p.m. I depart for my weekly eat-out with my fellow widower friend. During that time I hafta glom my breakfast cereal.
I can’t eat before aquacise; to do so means interrupting to go to the bathroom. So here I am glomming my breakfast cereal. “Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.”
Aquacise requires a nap; I ain’t young! But I probably won’t get it.
Some suggested the beeping was probably my basement carbon-monoxide detector, which I forgot. I hope that’s what it is. I can’t sleep with that thing beeping.
At least my garage-door worked, as did my car. And no accidents.
(It was the carbon-monoxide detector.)

• “Aquacise” is aquatic balance-training in a local YMCA swimming-pool. My balance is dreadful.
• “Weggers” is Wegmans, a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester where I often buy groceries. They have a store in Canandaigua. Both that YMCA and Wegmans are in Canandaigua, so I hit Weggers after aquacise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home