Sunday, November 20, 2011

Detail

Yesterday (Saturday, November 19, 2011) we took our 2005 Toyota Sienna van to Auto Wash in nearby Canandaigua, to be completely detailed, wash, wax, interior, the whole kibosh.
$204.25, which includes $14.25 sales-tax. That’s $190; $50 extra because it’s a van — a big vehicle.
The other day we had Auto Wash do our 2003 Honda CR-V, just an exterior wash and wax; $75.
We do the inside of our van because we usually carry our dog in it. It gets dirty.
This is the third year Auto Wash has done our cars. They do an excellent job.
Much better than we would do, and no doubt people wonder why we aren’t doing this ourselves.
Up until a few years ago we did, but we’re old, and waxing a car is an all-day affair.
Auto Wash can do it in half that.
I think they are also detailing used cars for auto dealers in Canandaigua. We often see cars in there with dealer-tags on them.
Beyond that our CR-V has a lot of black plastic on its exterior. Wax on it looks terrible.
The guys at Auto Wash admitted they have tricks to deal with that.
“You do, and I don’t,” I said.
There’s probably some goop for dealing with wax on black exterior plastic, but I don’t know what it is.
Nor do I care.
Let Auto Wash do it.
“So what do you think?” asked a pimply kid showing me the van.
“Do I come back here or not?” I commented. “How many times is this? This is the third year.”
I went inside the office to pay the tab.
The owner, young Bobby Marchenese, processed my Visa charge.
“Still here?” I asked.
Bobby seems too young and boyish to be running a business, although it was him the last three years.
Auto Wash is also a self-serve car-wash with booths to spray your car.
Plus interior vacuums.
It also has an automated drive-through car-wash.
I guess detailing is a sideline.
Auto Wash has separate buildings for detail work.
“I’ll use your bathroom while you process that charge-slip,” I said. “I have a long trip home.”
“Here’s your charge-slip,” Bobby said, as I came back out.
“Now, you probably need a signature,” I said.
“Not any more,” Bobby said. “The bank is no longer requiring a signature.”
“Ya mean they finally caught on?” I said. “I never sign for online charges, whose amounts are often larger.
The reason I asked,” I said; “is because the other day I had to sign the charge for our CR-V.”
“That guy’s probably still following the old procedure,” said Bobby smiling. “He’s not hip.”

• “Canandaigua” (“cannan-DAY-gwuh”) is a small city nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 14 miles away. —We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester.
• Our current dog is “Scarlett;” a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s six, and is our sixth Irish-Setter. (A “rescue Irish Setter” is an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. abusive or a puppy-mill. By getting a rescue-dog, we avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up. —Scarlett isn't bad.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home