Sunday, October 13, 2019

The e-mail I won’t send........

......because it’s too verbose, common to us word-geeks.

—“With hopes you read this, since......
-A) The time needed to say all this poolside is unavailable, since you’re an instructor.
-B) My ability to communicate face-to-face is always compromised by post-stroke aphasia.
(You, like ******, will insist I talk just fine. But my kid brothers hear it.)
My tipsiness being as bad as it was, has me thinking you were premature switching me to your aquatic balance-training class. And it’s not dizziness. It’s no longer having the steadiness on my feet I had years ago.
I also think it’s too bad I didn’t try that dry-land hospital physical-therapy first.
Apparently you guys, and that hospital physical-therapy, think ‘improving balance’ means to get better at avoiding falls = counter tipsiness. That tipsiness degraded quite a bit more since I started.
On the other hand I mistakenly thought ‘improving balance’ meant returning to the lack of tipsiness I had years ago.
That hospital physical-therapy says my tipsiness came with advancing age, plus the neuropathy I have.
The hospital says they can’t reverse that. All they can do is make me better able to counter it.
Essentially all I do in your pool is try to walk without staggering. A while ago one of your helpers yelled at me to not stagger — as if I had any choice.
A lot of what I do in your pool is march and straight-leg kick. Both require balancing on one leg. I march at home too.
To my mind my tipsiness has worsened. What got vastly better is my ability to counter tipsiness.
I hardly fall any more, and never because of tipsiness. When I do fall it’s because of stumbling or turning my ankle.
That hospital PT, and you perhaps, seem obsessed with preventing falls. I got that a lot in that hospital PT when I had my knee replaced.
Sorry I made the mistake of thinking your aquatic balance-training class would bring back the stability I had years ago.

Aside from that, you can smile at me all you want, and I hope you continue to do so. But never again will I fall for that.
That’s my childhood of course: NO PRETTY LADY WILL SMILE AT YOU!’ And there you were, smiling at me.
Others smile at me too. My first girlfriend (1962) was also an easy smiler. A cute young Physical Therapist at the hospital does that too.
70 years late, and at your expense, I discover I’m always a sucker for easy smilers.
Same thing with *****. NO PRETTY GIRL WILL TALK TO YOU!’ Yet ***** said hello to me. It wasn’t me saying hello to her, it was ***** saying hello to me. (“You talkin’ a-me?”)
I was dumbfounded. I never expected such a thing after the childhood I had.
A lot has changed since my beloved wife died; and 70 years late.
You may have noticed I can look you straight-in-the-eye. 10 years ago I couldna. (Couldn’t with my wife either, which I regret.)
A few weeks ago a beautiful young blond struck up a conversation with me. I cried afterward; 10 years ago I woulda run away.
Just the other day I suggested a younger lady divorcee join us bereavers on our weekly eat-out. 10 years ago I woulda never considered such a thing.
My Sunday-School Superintendent neighbor and parents were WRONG!”

NO PRETTY LADY WILL SMILE AT/TALK TO YOU!” was my immediate neighbor and Sunday-School Superintendent Hilda Walton when I was a child. Like my parents she was hyper-religious. She convinced me all males, including me at age-5, were SCUM. My parents heartily agreed.
• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke. It slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty finding and putting words together = classic Aphasia.)
• For 2-3 years or more I did aquatic balance training in the Canandaigua YMCA’s swimming-pool. I dropped out for the moment so I could try dry-land balance-training at a hospital Physical-Therapy. I continue to use the pool on-my-own.
• I’ve been diagnosed with neuropathy, poor nerve communication down my legs to my feet. It isn’t diabetic neuropathy.
• So far only my left knee was replaced. My right knee is still the one I was born with.
• ***** is a lifeguard at the Canandaigua YMCA swimming-pool.
• My wife died of cancer April 17th, 2012.
• Once per week for years I’ve been eating out with fellow widows and widowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home