Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Born in the wrong century

“This is blog-material,” I told ****, my contact at my financial-advisor.
I gave her a letter from my financial-service. It said something about never logging into their site, which made no sense, since as far as I knew I had “gone-green.”
“We’ve heard it before,” **** said. “Your Time-Warner e-mail probably rejects anything we send. We get that with all our Time-Warner clients.
We need to verify your e-mail address.”
“We did that six months ago,” I said.
“We need to log you in: the last four letters of your user-name are ‘ALEW’.”
On my iPhone: “Bobbalew.”
“Now your password.”
“Are you kidding? Never in a million years would I remember that.”
I tried a password I use on various sites.
“Naughty-naughty!”
“We need to change your password.”
“Not the first time,” I countered; “every six months: ‘change password’.”
Changing one’s password involves a plethora of techno-leaps. Codes galore via e-mail and text, and finally a temporary password.
And my iPhone must not be using the e-mail Time-Warner uses.
So now set up new password.
“What if I can’t see what I just typed? I had a stroke, ya know. My keyboarding is sloppy, especially on a virtual keyboard.”
I typed again.
“Damn thing worked!” I exclaimed. “I musta typed correctly.”
We could now view activity to my account online.
“LA-DEE-DAH” I said. “I never do that. I still get paper statements — why I’ll never know. If my account-balance tanked, you’d hear about it.
Born in the wrong century,” I exclaimed.
“But you’re more tech-savvy than most your age,” **** said.
“Yeah, I am; but I have a challenge for you,” I said: “the self-checkouts at my local Wegmans.
Over 20 tries so far, but never able to escape without help.
See ya in six months, and we can do all this again.”

• My e-mail is local to my computer, but comes from Time-Warner’s RoadRunner — except now it’s Spectrum’s RoadRunner.
• “Verify one’s e-mail address” apparently makes it valid to my financial-service.
• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke.
• “Wegmans” is a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester where I often buy groceries. They have a store in Canandaigua, which recently installed a self-checkout.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home