Monday, June 10, 2013

It’s that time of year

On weekdays when I take my dog to nearby Boughton Park (“BOW-tin;” as in “wow), a local high-school is bringing students out for canoeing lessons.
Boughton park has two large ponds formed by dams. It used to be a water-supply.
As I walked my dog out on the west-pond dam-dike the pond was full of canoes.
A schoolbus brings the students, and they get out the canoes.
I noticed a 30-ish lady atop the dam-dike with a clipboard surveying her charges.
“Never had anything like this when I was in high-school,” I commented.
“Yes, it’s really nice we can do something like this,” she said.
DEFLECTION ALERT!
My wry comment was parried with diplomacy, or in one ear, and out the other!
I continued walking my dog.
Later when I returned the second class had arrived and was piloting the same canoes.
As I started out on the dam-dike, I noticed the nasty lady I never say anything to.
She avoids me, and could bite my head off.
“Never had anything like this when I was in high-school,” I commented.
“Yes, it’s ridiculous!” she snapped. “Waste all that gasoline to bring these kids out to play in a boat!” (Schoolbuses use diesel-fuel.)
Snap-lady passed, and then I approached an older gentleman with the “Missy” dog.
He’s always yelling at her.
That guy gives my dog a treat, and she looks forward to it.
Yank-pull!
“Never had anything like this when I was in high-school,” I commented.
“Me neither,” he said. “High-school was supposed to be drudgery.”

• My current dog is “Scarlett” (two “Ts,” as in Scarlett O’Hara), a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s eight, and is my sixth Irish-Setter, a high-energy dog. (A “rescue Irish Setter” is an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. abusive or a puppy-mill. [Scarlett was from a failed backyard breeder.] By getting a rescue-dog, we avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up. —Scarlett isn't bad. She’s my fourth rescue.)
• Boughton Park is a fairly-large town park in East Bloomfield where I walk my dog. I live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester. (West Bloomfield is one of the three towns that own and administer the park.) —Boughton Park is about four miles from my house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home