Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wrastling with Sync

My new car, a used 2012 Ford Escape, is Bluetooth-enabled, which means I can make and receive hands-free cellphone calls from my car.
They play through the car-radio, that is, the cellphone audio plays through the radio-speaker, and apparently there’s a microphone (mouthpiece) somewhere.
My cleaning-lady can clean my house while I’m away; I showed her the secret key to my house — she knows where it is. She was going to clean my house last Thursday (May 16th, 2013) while I worked out at the YMCA.
So here I am bopping along in my Bluetooth-enabled car returning home from working out.
I figured she might still be at my house, so I figured I’d call her up in case she wanted to hang around and get paid.
My car has “Sync,” a special application of computer-software included by Ford.
My Bluetooth cellphone works through “Sync.”
So I fire up Sync through a media-button on my steering-wheel.
“Sync; please say a command.” (It’s voice-recognition software.)
“Call cleaning-lady,” I say. “Cleaning-lady”is what I have her as in my contact-list. Sync has memorized my contact-list.
“Calling Leif’s,” it says. “Leif’s” is my mower-man. They are also in my contact-list.
Oh, for Heaven sake!
Fortunately I managed to end that call before Leif’s answered, although it rang twice.
I let Sync die back to zero.
I fired it up again; try again.
“Call cleaning-lady,” I commanded.
“Did you say ‘call Leif’s?’”
“No.”
“Sync; please say a command.”
“Call cleaning-lady.”
“Did you say ‘call Leif’s?’”
“No.”
“Sync; please say a command.”
“Call cleaning-lady,” my third attempt.
“Calling Leif’s.”
I managed to kill it immediately.
Oh, for Heaven sake!
I gave up!
Sync is determined to call Leif’s, despite “cleaning-lady” being in my contact-list.
I guess I’ll call cleaning-lady when I get home.
I motor along, and think maybe Sync can only handle a one-syllable command.
I fire it up again.
“Call Clean, I say.”
“Calling Faudi.” That’s Phil Faudi (“FOW-dee;” as in “wow,” although Sync mispronounced it as “Faw”), the guy I chase trains with in Altoona, PA. (I’m a railfan, and have been since age-2.)
I managed to kill that phonecall too, before it even rang.
Sync is supposedly some whiz-bang computer app that makes Ford cars desirable.
Although it isn’t helping me any; all it’s doing is tossing me into the ozone.
Funny, Siri (“cere-eeee”), the voice-recognition software on my iPhone, calls “Cleaning-Lady” when so commanded.
In fact, that’s how I called “Cleaning-Lady” when I got home.
So much for Sync.
I’ve made other cellphone calls via Sync, but it can’t crunch Cleaning-Lady.
I considered Sync included the curse of Bill Gates. “Sync” is a Microsoft application.
I’ve been loudly told Microsoft is venerable, vastly superior to anything Apple, which is Of-the-Devil.
That Jesus used a PC with Microsoft Windows.
Yet Siri works on my Apple iPhone, while Microsoft’s Sync doesn’t.
Reminds of the foolishness my wife and I got every time daylight-savings-time switched on or off.
My Apple MAC always made the boogaloo without my doing anything, yet my wife’s PC was always an hour off.
She dickered with various Windows settings, but in the end forced her PC to agree with my MAC.
And we were both using the same time-server, National Institute of Standards (NIST).

• “Bill Gates” is the head-honcho of Microsoft.
• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. At the time she was 68. I miss her dearly. (I’m now 69.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home