Thursday, June 13, 2013

Here we go again......

Yrs Trly is gloriously sick.
The doctor’s assessment is bronchitis and sinusitis.
To me that’s coughing and sneezing/sniffling.
I could feel it coming last week, so I tried to fight it my usual way, aerobic workouts at the YMCA (get the blood flowing), plus citric fruits like an orange each day. Plus grapefruit-juice each morning.
It didn’t work. My fever was 101.9 degrees the other night (Monday, June 10th, 2013), although back to 97 degrees the next morning (Tuesday, June 11th, 2013).
I decided I should see my doctor.
So off I went for a doctor-appointment Tuesday, about a four-mile auto-trip.
After poking and prodding I was prescribed an antibiotic: “Azithromycin.”
“I don’t know if you know it or not,” I said to my doctor, a woman; “but my wife died over a year ago.”
“Yes, I know that.”
I started crying.
Here we go again!
Between the vet Monday, and my doctor Tuesday, a lot of crying has occurred.
“I haven’t been sick since my wife died, and I was always worried about it.
Now that I am, it’s like what am I worried about?
It’s because I have a dog, and being the only one left to entertain her, I didn’t wanna get sick. That getting sick was failing her.”
“I’m sure the dog wants now to just comfort you,” the doctor said.
“That seems to be the case,” I said. “I have to always take naps, and my highly energetic dog seems to want to just sleep with me.”
By now I wasn’t crying as much, but it always seems to happen. I can’t stifle it.
All I have to do is mention my wife dying to someone new, and I start crying.

• I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA Exercise-Gym, appropriately named the “Wellness-Center,” usually three days per week, about two-three hours per visit. (“Canandaigua” [“cannan-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city to the east nearby where I live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 14 miles east. —I live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester.)
• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.
• My current dog is “Scarlett” (two “Ts,” as in Scarlett O’Hara), a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s eight, and is my sixth Irish-Setter, a high-energy dog. (A “rescue Irish Setter” is an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. abusive or a puppy-mill. [Scarlett was from a failed backyard breeder.] By getting a rescue-dog, we avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up. —Scarlett isn't bad. She’s my fourth rescue.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home