Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Response to CG e-mail

Well CG......
Good luck in Ann Arbor
Now that I’m all alone. a widower, I get the “What about Uncle Bob?” and “What about Bob?”
Of course, Thanksgiving never meant much to us anyway.
Occasionally Linda roasted a small turkey, and held a small Thanksgiving dinner for my niece and her husband and their daughter, my only relatives here in Rochester (NY).
Also my niece’s mother, the first divorced wife of Linda’s brother, now on his fourth wife.
They all live together in my sister-in-law’s house where she was brought up.
In fact, Linda roasted a turkey almost every year, a freebie from the supermarket, a product of the annual turkey wars.
About the only times Linda didn’t do a turkey is when Thanksgiving was held at my niece’s house, wherein -a) we were served a salad of rotting lettuce, and -b) my niece’s husband enthusiastically carved the turkey with a chain-saw.
We also were served a foamed Jell-O dessert filled with garbage.
So Thanksgiving for me is an invite to a Thanksgiving buffet near Rochester with my niece.
Their daughter’s birthday is tomorrow, Thanksgiving-day.
They decided to eat out at a buffet-restaurant. Thanksgiving dinner without the cooking.
And then another lady from a nearby church called and told me they were holding free Thanksgiving dinner for people like me who are alone.
The old “sing for your supper.”
I abstained, but she said they could do take-out.
That’s a Sunday meal without cooking.
I told her I’d show up.

• “CG” is Charlie Gardiner, a classmate at my college. He now lives in Massachusetts, and e-mailed me he was on his way to his son in Ann Arbor, MI for Thanksgiving.
• “Linda” is my beloved wife of over 44 years who died of cancer April 17th, 2012. Like me she was 68. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home