Thursday, November 08, 2012

Four more years of Obama-lama-ding-dong

The American people have spoken.
Not often do I find myself having voted for the winner of a presidential election.
The last time that happened it was Bill Clinton, who I noted was my first president younger than me.
I could say the honkies were defeated, the white guys who hated Obama and loudly declared him a Muslim.
I found it interesting the Mitt Romney campaign accused Obama of strident partisanship.
That instead of gridlock in Washington we should be reaching out.
I humblee submit John Boehner and his “my way or the highway” crowd.
As if that’s not strident partisanship.
Sure, toss all the advances of the Obama administration, and go back to the old ways that almost caused a Great Depression.
Coddle the fatcats and have them pay even less taxes, while the little guy forks over more to fund the Conservative agenda.
The old Conservative waazoo: “A rising tide raises all boats.”
But what if your boat is sinking?
Heaven forbid we limit the capitalist right to make a killing — rip someone off.
In Pennsylvania I saw signs belittling Obama for limiting coal.
What if burning coal pumps gobs of carbon-dioxide into the atmosphere, enough to cause melting polar icecaps, and global-warming?
We live in a world where the ultimate freedom of the automobile has become an albatross. One sees that in southern California, very much an auto-culture.
Traffic chokes the highways, and smog chokes the atmosphere.
A few years ago, I was in deepest, darkest Hollywood at night, cheek-to-jowl with slowly lumbering behemoths, Hummers and giant Expeditions at 2 mph on chrome-spider alloy wheels.
Interstate-10 is at least 10 lanes, maybe 12.
Yet it was packed with madly cannonading behemoths doing 100 mph.
Is it even possible to govern such madness?
In Wyoming life goes on as if the Federal Government didn’t exist.
Yet Obama took it on. He saved us from a Depression even worse than the Great Depression — which would have been caused by greed.
He’s got four more years. Can he turn around America’s slide?
I doubt it.
As a friend once said to me, “This nation’s greatness is over.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home