Tuesday, November 13, 2012

PhotoBucket “improvement”

True to their e-mail notification, PhotoBucket, my image repository for these blogs, has indeed “improved” their site.
I always dread these changes, because -a) I have to figure out a new user-interface, although I usually can, and -b) their so-called “improvement” usually deletes some function I used a lot.
The new user-interface was not challenging; it was relatively intuitive. But their so-called “improvement” did indeed delete a function I made extensive use of.
Their old site gave an information-box about a picture I uploaded, and this info-box included the pixel-size, pixel resolution, etc.
I keep folders on this ‘pyooter of every picture I’ve ever uploaded to PhotoBucket — I can. I got gobs of storage.
That is, I still have the actual picture-file.
Not knowing PhotoBucket would make their so-called “improvement,” I trashed my picture-files from 2009 and 2010.
My 2009 and 2010 pictures are still at PhotoBucket, so what I did to determine the pixel-size of a reduced-size picture I was gonna reuse, was use PhotoBucket’s info-box to tell me the original picture-size.
But now I can’t, since that info-box is gone.
If I wanna reuse a PhotoBucket picture from 2009 or 2010, I have to screenshot it, open my screenshot in Photoshop-Elements, and then ballpark the picture-size.
I have to hope that picture was uploaded to PhotoBucket at blog-column width (403 pixels = 5.597 inches wide). After numerous calculations I come up with a ballparked picture-height. —If the picture wasn’t uploaded at blog-column width, my calculations lead me astray, and the picture displays vastly distorted.
So thank you PhotoBucket! Your so-called “improvement” isn’t helping me any.
Apple Computer did this a while ago.
They fielded what Windows calls a “service-pack,” a change (“upgrade”) to their operating software.
I dutifully installed it, as with all Apple system upgrades, and in so doing disabled some of my antique software applications, namely Photoshop Elements-4.0, my FineReader OCR software, plus my ancient Quicken 2003 would no longer print checks.
Apple had apparently removed the code that made these things work, their so-called “Rosetta Code.”
My wife, who was still alive then, determined this by Google-search.
Andrew, my Macintosh computer-guru at Mac-Shack, disputed this, but my three ancient applications no longer worked.
I had to upgrade to Photoshop Elements-10. a more recent FineReader, and Quicken-Essentials.
PE-10 wasn’t too bad, but it altered one of its tool-functions, not in my favor.
Upgrading FineReader cost me over $100, and now I have a killer app that will OCR scan books. My earlier FR (which came with my scanner) was all I needed.
Quicken-Essentials apparently hates MAC. It’ll print checks after much dithering, and that has to be just so.
Apparently QE didn’t print checks at first, since they mistakenly assumed everyone would be paying online by then. Users rebelled, and QE added check-printing, but that was before I installed it.
My credit-card is still in Quicken 2003, since I’m not printing checks from that.
Reconciling a QE account is beyond me. 2003 I can reconcile. All I can do with my QE checking account is verify the balance agrees with my bank.
Apple’s so-called “system upgrade,” and what it did, was totally unannounced. As always with Apple, you were on your own.
Things like this seem to always be clothed in secrecy (although PhotoBucket wasn’t).
Steve Jobs died not long after.
It was like this was his parting-shot: totally screw up his users.
Back to Reality.
Things are more-or-less stable.
I use Photoshop Elements-10, Quicken Essentials, and occasionally FineReader.
I’ve developed workarounds to get what I want, but they are time-consuming.
Plus with Quicken Essentials I can’t reconcile my checking-account. But I can balance it. That’s compromise, not a workaround.
It’s like when AppleWorks® dropped its macro-function from 5.0 to 6.0. I developed a workaround, but it was nowhere near as fast as a macro.
(AppleWorks [previously ClarisWorks] no longer exists. It was replaced by Apple’s “Pages,” what I’m using as my word-processor now.)
I’ve developed a workaround in response to PhotoBucket’s deleting its info-box.
Although maybe it’s still there.
So I e-mail PhotoBucket a tech question.
I bet I get a “we’re deeply sorry” response from Richard in India.
(I bet his real name isn’t “Richard.”)

• RE: “I got gobs of storage......” —500-gig hard-drive.
• This computer is an Apple MacBook Pro.
• “‘Pyooter” is computer.
• “OCR-scanning” (optical-character-recognition) is to scan a text-document (like a letter). The OCR software then “reads” the document and converts it into a computer text-file.
• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. Like me she was 68. I miss her dearly.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger aarongrey112 said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112@gmail.com

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home