Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Daddy is technically-challenged

I have noticed the brochures of financial-institutions always have a skirt fiddling things on the family computer, while Daddy looks approvingly over her shoulder.
See example illustration at left.
As if Daddy is totally out-of-it when it comes to finances and computer-issues.
This isn’t necessarily so.
My wife, when she was alive, more-or-less fiddled financial issues, but I was very much into computers.
I didn’t feel challenged or intimidated.
There certainly were enough times I showed my wife how to do things on her computer.
We each had our own rig, hers a Windows PC, mine an Apple MacBook Pro.
PC because her work was PC-based, and mine was MAC-based.
If anything, I’d say a Windows PC is more intimidating than a Macintosh, but my wife drove it, fairly successfully.
There was occasional yelling and screaming.
I too had successfully driven a PC, usually in some faraway library.
But I always liked getting back to my MAC. (My MAC was more familiar, so I could do more on it.)
I feel fortunate this Macintosh hasn’t thrown any steaming hairballs at me.
Usually my wife took on the MAC hairballs.
I got one last year when my wife was in the hospital.
I forget what it was.
But I successfully Googled a solution.
That’s how my wife did it, and others too.
So I find it a put-down to imply the pants-wearer is a dunderhead.
I’m exaggerating, of course. I don’t always see this in financial ads and brochures.
But it seems to often be the case.

• My beloved wife of 44 years died of cancer April 17, 2012. She was 68. I miss her a lot.
• Note to Camera-Banger (probably my only non-family or non-friend follower): Things are making more sense than last time I commented, but I still can get EXTREMELY depressed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home