Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Gotcha!

The other day (Saturday, June 9, 2012) I got one of those mind-bending gloom-and-doom letters from the Infernal-Revenue-Service (IRS) saying I owed 27,512 smackaroos.
$18,810 back-taxes, plus $3,762 in penalties, plus $945 interest.
My ability to parry this sort of madness is severely compromised.
My beloved wife of 44 years died two months ago, and I am devastated.
I doubt we could parry such madness together.
My wife would try.
Usually she was the one that took on hairballs, since I’ve had a stroke.
But this was so complicated I think it would have been beyond her.
The letter was regarding our 2010 taxes, that I hadn’t declared $78,000 income from our 1099s.
WHAT!?
Our annual income never amounts to slightly over $55,000.
There’s my wife’s pension, my disability-pension from Regional Transit, our Social-Securities, and a few bucks here-and-there.
$78,000 was a joke.
I did the 2010 taxes myself.
The 2011 taxes were farmed out to H&R Block, since tax-day was fast approaching, and with various medical appointments and my wife dying I was running out of time.
H&R Block found errors, so did six tax-amendments for 2008, 2009, and 2010, IRS and NY state.
My wife was barely able to sign, but did.
The amendments were filed just before tax-day. My wife died April 17, tax-day.
So my first thought was to contact H&R Block regarding the gloom-and-doom letter.
I was guessing the 2010 amendment prompted the letter.
But it hadn’t. It was my original tax-filing.
I happened to spill this letter to my financial-advisor, John Price at the Honeoye (“hone-eee-OYE”) Falls Edward Jones.
He suggested I forget H&R Block and go with a professional tax-advisor.
He suggested one: Kerynn Killenbec in Honeoye Falls.
He also suggested the letter was probably triggered by my erroneous reporting of IRA rollovers that started my Edward Jones account.
The rollovers amount to $78,000.
So I took everything to this Killenbec lady, and she said that was what triggered it.
A Schedule-D amendment by her would probably reduce my tax-liability to zero, or nearly.
Her Schedule-D amendment would tell IRS to go fly a kite.
The lily-white antenna-festooned Econoline, peopled by muscle-bound thugs in sunglasses manning binoculars, can leave the pasture up the street.
For that, she gets to do my income-tax next year.
H&R Block can fly a kite too.

• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, from which I pretty much recovered.
• “Regional Transit” equals Regional Transit Service (RTS), the public transit-bus operator in Rochester, NY, and environs, where I drove transit-bus for 16&1/2 years (1977-1993). My stroke ended that. I retired on medical-disability.
• “Honeoye Falls” is the nearest village to the west to where I live in western New York, a rural village about five miles away.

1 Comments:

Blogger camerabanger said...

Every hard working jerks worst nightmare. Sounds like you handled it perfectly.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home