Friday, June 01, 2012

A record


Altogether only eight attendees. (Photo by BobbaLew.)

Yesterday (Thursday, May 31, 2012) was a record get-together of retirees from Regional Transit service.
“Record” in that it was the fewest that ever attended, only eight.
For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service (RTS) in Rochester, NY, a public employer, the transit-bus operator in Rochester and its environs. My stroke October 26, 1993 ended that. I retired on medical-disability.
Attending were Ron Palermo, the organizer, Gary and Mary Coleman (“COAL-min”), myself, Paul Zachmeyer, Dave Brown, Tim Quinlan, and Dick Mackey.
In fact, I think Timmy is still working as a radio-dispatcher (“controller”) at Transit.
Brownie was middle-management, a “dispatcher” of bus-drivers. He handed out work. Brownie was at first a bus-driver, and then a road-supervisor. He also did radio before retiring at age-71.
A “road-supervisor” was an official of the company that rode around in a supervisor-car, supervised bus-drivers, and settled arguments with bus-passengers. They also attended bus accidents.
Gary was also a bus-driver at first, but then became a road-supervisor. He also worked radio before multiple strokes felled him.
Myself was only a bus-driver. I felt that was the best job at Transit. I was pretty much on-my-own, free of office politics.
The main problem was our clientele, which could be ornery and dangerous.
The other problem was wars with management, who could be jerks.
Palermo is another retired bus-driver. He organizes these get-togethers.
Last March we held our annual sojourn to Cartwright’s Pancake House.
Cartwright’s is a maple-syrup operation. Their pancake house is only open during the maple-sugaring season.
Their marketing angle is all-you-can-eat buckwheat pancakes served with real maple-syrup.
They’re out in the middle of nowhere, but attract patrons from all over the planet.
Yesterday’s get-together was at Hibachi and Sushi Supreme buffet just south of Rochester, N.Y.
It was also the first get-together I attended since my wife died.
Paul Zachmeyer didn’t know, and was surprised.
Others did, including Timmy, who I send these blogs to.
Most were saddened by my condition; sort of a wreck.
I find I have to attend these gigs to occupy myself, to avoid getting depressed.
It’s also good company; our group were good workers.
Even those from management that attend aren’t jerks.
And the hourlies (bus-drivers and mechanics) could be jerks too.
I had to leave before the others, although they had finished.
I had 89 bazilyun other errands I had to do.
It took me the rest of the day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home