Friday, June 29, 2012

Extreme weight-loss

I’ve considered the following broadside for magazines and TV:
“Wanna drop 12+ pounds without extreme dieting?
Have your beloved wife of 44 years die.”
Prior to my wife’s death I registered 189 pounds on the medical-scale at the Canandaigua YMCA, the one I go by since our bathroom scale, “the roulette-scale” from Wal*Mart, is so erratic.
Yesterday (Thursday, June 28, 2012) the YMCA scale registered 176.5 pounds.
That’s down 12.5 pounds.
I ran this all by my Doctor a few weeks ago. I was concerned about the weight-loss that comes with cancer.
“I don’t think you have cancer,” he said.
“Nothing hurts,” I added.
“This is what happens,” he said. “Experience grief, and you lose weight.”
I probably haven’t been eating as much.
I’ve also added a few unhealthy and fattening things to my diet, like the occasional soda-pop and cake.
My grocery sells slices of their “ultimate-chocolate-cake.”
It’s filling, but I’ve partaken.
“As long as you eat and sleep normally,” which I do, “you’ll be fine,” the Doctor said.
“You also have to keep putting one foot in front of the other,” another added.
I remember that getting up in the morning, which is very hard.
“Call me if you lose 20,” the Doctor said.
I seem to be plateaued at about 177.

• I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA Exercise-Gym, appropriately named their “Wellness-Center,” usually two-three days per week, about two-three hours per visit. (“Canandaigua” [“cannan-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city to the east nearby where I live in western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 14 miles away. —I live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home