Friday, February 24, 2012

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

Last night (Thursday, February 23, 2012) yr fthfl srvnt successfully installed a plugin for his scanner into his recently downloaded and installed Photoshop-Elements 10.
This is a tremendous triumph for a stroke-survivor with a slightly stroke-addled brain.
I could have given up, but I can’t.
A couple weeks ago Apple Computer did an update to this laptop that disabled my Photoshop-Elements 4.0, among other ancient computer applications.
Some of my computer applications are old.
Photoshop-Elements 4.0 is ancient. My Quicken is antique. My Fine-Reader optical-character-recognition software came years ago with my scanner.
I wanted to update when I got this laptop, but didn’t because they all worked.
As usual, updates are being forced on me.
My wife and I Googled furiously.
Seems others were having the same problems. Apple, so it seemed, had inadvertently or intentionally, broke or removed Rosetta-code from OS-X which made older applications work under “Snow-Leopard,” the version of OS-X I use. (The most recent version of OS-X is “Lion;” “Snow-Leopard” was the version before “Lion.”)
My Photoshop-Elements 4.0 crashed mightily in flames, as did my AppleWorks-6, Fine-Reader, and my Quicken.
Although that was printing checks, so that may be a printing problem.
Photoshop-Elements, Fine-Reader, and AppleWorks-6 wouldn’t open anything.
Well, my “Pages” word-processor, an Apple replacement for AppleWorks, would open my ancient AppleWorks-6 files.
But I needed a new Photoshop-Elements and Fine-Reader.
Photoshop-Elements 10 was Amazon, but Fine-Reader was ABBYY Fine-Reader.
Fine-Reader set me back 100 smackaroos, and that’s just Fine-Reader Express. —I’m not scanning books.
The most recent Photoshop-Elements, 10, set me back $70.61.
I also installed a new Quicken-Essentials, and will probably start from scratch.
My new Quicken won’t read my old Quicken accounts, unless a phonecall to their tech-support helps. (Yeah sure!)
I don’t look forward to that.
As a stroke-survivor my speech is slightly compromised — I’m not very good at phonecalls.
So I’ll carry the balances forward from my old Quicken to start new Quicken-Essentials accounts.
Photoshop-Elements 10 installed, I set about doing something with it.
The interface was similar to my old 4.0, but my scanner was no longer in my import options.
NOW WHAT?!
Workaround time!

I also happen to have separate scanner software which could save to my desktop, and Photoshop-Elements 10 would open desktop files.
But it would be nice to have that scanner in my Photoshop-Elements import-options.
A Google-hit got me an Adobe forum that had what appeared to be a solution.
My Photoshop-Elements 10 had a folder of optional plugins, one of which would add my scanner.
It gave me the file-paths for doing this, which I printed out.
“Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Support files/optional plugins/import modules.”
Move TWAIN plugin to “Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Support files/plugins/import modules.
This is what I tried last night.
It worked!
My scanner is now in my import-options.
Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, and it slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty finding and putting words together.)
• “Optical-character-recognition software” is just that. It recognizes the letters on a printed page, and generates a computer text-file.
• “Adobe” inc. is the developer of Photoshop and Photoshop-Elements.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home