Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Workaround

The final hairball in my installation of Photoshop-Elements 10 is to get it to recognize my giant Epson® Expression 10000-XL scanner, the largest I could buy at that time.
It has a gigantic platen about 17&1/2 inches by 12&1/2 inches, and cost me a fortune.
But I use it a lot, and one item I scan has pictures about 18 inches wide.
Such a big scanner negates double-scanning and merging, which can be imprecise.
Apparently Adobe®, the developer of Photoshop-Elements, did not include the scanner-driver in its most recent versions of Photoshop-Elements, which cuts out scanner recognition by Photoshop-Elements for heavy scanner-users like me.
Fevered discussions ensued all over the Internet in various forums.
My old Photoshop-Elements 4.0 had the scanner-driver, so my scanner was in import options.
Fortunately my scanner came with its own software for independent operation.
This is my current workaround.
Independent operation generates its own image-file that Photoshop-Elements will open.
Apparently I could also steal the old scanner-driver from my old 4.0 and install it on my 10.
I will probably try.
But this may be too technical for me.
I’m not Einstein; I’m not a techie.
Anyway, my workaround works, so I’m not left with an unusable scanner.
I tried the workaround last night (Tuesday, February 7, 2012). It adds about five minutes to a scan.
There also seems to be a limitation to the “save-as” function in my Photoshop-Elements 10.
I can’t save to a specific folder, unless I can do it by “organizing” (a Photoshop-Elements 10 function).
It “saves-as” to my generic picture-folder, after which I later have to go into my hard-drive and move things around.
New Photoshop-Elements software; what a pain.
Why are “improvements” always a wrestling-match?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home