Saturday, February 04, 2012

“Steve, we have a problem”

The other day (Wednesday, February 1, 2012) I got one those occasional messages on this MacBook Pro from Apple-Computer.
“Software updates are available.
Do you wish to install now?”
Sure! I do every one.
Clouded in mystery they are, but nothing strange yet.
I get the purple aurora-borealis screen while they install, and a reboot is usually required.
The update initiates the reboot.
The next day (Thursday, February 2, 2012, Ground-Hog day) I fired up my good old Photoshop-Elements 4.0 to process a screenshot.
It fires up.
“Open.” BAM! “Photoshop-Elements closed unexpectedly.
I tried again.
“Open.” BAM! Into the ozone again.
I tried a third time.
“Open.” BAM! Into the ozone yet again.
“Will this ever work?” I cried.
My wife came in.
“Open.” BAM!
“What’s happening?
It looks like I can’t do anything with Photoshop-Elements at all.”
“Did you update your system?” my wife asked.
“Yesterday,” I said.
Software problem!” my wife said. “They did something that makes Photoshop-Elements crash.”
My wife began Googling on her PC to see if others were getting the problem. (Or do I mean “issue?”)
She got a torrent of hits.
At 4.0 my Photoshop-Elements is ancient.
The most recent version for MAC is 10.
They want $71.99 to upgrade from Amazon.
PASS!
4.0 works fine for what I do.
I’ve heard it from other Photoshop users.
“No sense upgrading if you’re happy with what ya got.”
I’ve considered I should upgrade my antique, but I do fine.
If I upgrade I get bells and whistles I don’t need.
About all I ever do is -a) resize pictures, and -b) scan.
Workaround time:
My wife has Photoshop-Elements on her PC, a more recent version, probably 5 or 6.
I e-mailed the screenshot to her so we could process it with her Photoshop-Elements.
Trial time:
I needed to scan a picture-card.
My 4.0 worked my scanner
“Save as.....” BAM! Into the ozone again.
—Okay, so I probably will upgrade my Photoshop-Elements, although I’d rather not.
I’m out 72 bucks, and how do I know that will solve the problem?
“Steve, we got a problem.” (Or is it “issue?”)

• “Steve” is of course Steve Jobs, founder of Apple-Computer, and inspiration to all things techie; also a really great guy. He recently died of cancer.
More problems: None of my AppleWorks-6 files will open, nor can I print checks from my Quicken. My wife says these two softwares, plus Photoshop-Elements 4.0, are “Rosetta applications.” They need Rosetta-code to work. I heard about this a while ago from Quicken; that older Quickens wouldn’t work under the new OS-X Lion. (My Quicken is 2003.) Looks like the security-update also dumped Rosetta from my OS-X Snow-Leopard. No warning at all! Sounds like Microsoft with their Windows-7 or else. Thank you Apple! Upgrade your software or else. (Do they get a cut?) Fast-one alert!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home