Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Do I or don’t I?

The other day (probably Saturday, February 18, 2012) a message came over my SmartPhone: “An update is available for your device. Do you wish to install now or later? If you install now, your device will be off seven minutes, You won’t be able to send or receive phonecalls.”
“Uh-oh......” I said. “Do I or don’t I?”
Just recently I received a similar message from Apple Computer, a so-called “update” for my MAC.
I always installed such updates immediately, so I let ‘er rip.
All of a sudden, older applications, which rely on Rosetta-code to work, AppleWorks 6.0, my Fine-Reader optical-character-recognition (OCR) software, Photoshop-Elements 4.0, and Quicken, no longer worked.
Neither Photoshop-Elements or AppleWorks would open or save anything, and my Fine-Reader wouldn’t open anything.
My Quicken wouldn’t print checks.
We Googled furiously.
Apparently many were having the same problems, particularly businesses using Quicken.
I decided to visit Mac Shack, where a friend who set up this MAC works.
I also downloaded and installed new Photoshop-Elements (10), Fine-Reader, and a new Quicken. (Altogether almost 200 smackaroos!)
My friend insisted missing Rosetta was only an OS-X Lion issue, that Rosetta wasn’t missing from Snow-Leopard, the version of OS-X I use.
Well, how come my older applications, all four of them, suddenly crash after the update?
And how come I get this weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth all over the Internet?
So, someone wants to update my SmartPhone.
I’m suspicious! (Dread.)
Who wants to update it? Verizon (my cellphone service-provider), Google (the developer of my SmartPhone’s “Android” operating-system), or Motorola (The maker of my DroidX® SmartPhone).
-We live with Verizon, but they’re a pack of vipers.
-Google seems hot to take over the entire known universe.
Let them update, and I get inundated with targeted marketing:
“View raunchy photos of 50-year-old hotties in your area, desperate for a relationship.
I trash enough spam phonecalls as it is, and trash at least 95 percent of my e-mail.
-Motorola I’m unsure of. Already I’ve had to do a complete power-off reboot five times — that’s pull the battery.
They’re gonna keep hammering me with that update as long as I use my SmartPhone, so I let it install.
All-of-a-sudden: “CHIRP,” signifying my SmartPhone was back on.
“That seven minutes went by awful fast,” I said.
“Seems like it was seven minutes,” my wife said.
So NOW WHAT?
Will it even work?

Do I get deluged with 50-year-old hotties?

• “Rosetta-code,” needed to make older applications work under OS-X, has been a part of all OS-X versions until the “Lion” version. Previous to “Lion” was “Snow-Leopard,” the version of OS-X I use. Rosetta was not supposed to be disabled in Snow-Leopard, but it looks like it was (intentional or inadvertent).
• “Optical-character-recognition software” is just that. The software scans a printout, and creates a computer text-file of what was printed. It recognizes the letters in the printout.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home