Monday, February 13, 2012

Chirp!

My Smartphone, in the other room so we could go to bed, was signaling it had come on.
“I distinctly remember turning that thing off!” I cried.
“Chirp!” is the alert-sound my SmartPhone makes because I got sick-and-tired of it’s guttural “Droid.”
Every time an e-mail comes in, or an application updates, or a text comes in: “Chirp!”
I also changed the ringtone. I successfully finagled an Mp3 I made of a railroad steam-locomotive whistle (I’m a railfan) into the ringtone.
This was after trying to answer my phone after hearing another person’s SmartPhone ring.
That person was using the same ringtone as me: “Ding-a-ling!”
I’ve always wanted to make that steam-locomotive whistle my ringtone, and I finally did.
Now if someone else’s phone rings, I know it’s not mine.
I doubt anyone else is using a ringtone I recorded myself.
I went back into our kitchen and grabbed my SmartPhone.
It was indeed on.
Again I held the on-off button down long enough for it to throw up its on-off menu: “Silent mode, Airplane mode, Sleep, Power-off.”
“‘Silent mode, Airplane mode, Sleep, Power-off,’” I said. “Same as I got before.”
I pushed “Power-off” on the display-screen.
The screen went blank.
“I wonder if it’s actually off?” I said, as I ambled back into our bedroom.
No more chirp.
“I guess it’s actually off,” I thought. “This isn’t the first time.”
That phone is so smart it has a mind of its own. (“You’re not turning me off!”)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home