Thursday, September 30, 2010

Experian®

Seems every morning I have some utter insanity to blog.
Be it the wonders of technology and this here ‘pyooter, or my continual wrastling with Facebook.
Two years ago a laptop computer was stolen at a bank in Boston.
That bank disbursed the pensions of retirees of Regional Transit Service in Rochester.
For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service (RTS). My stroke October 26, 1993 ended that.
My stroke disability-retired me from Transit, although I was able to work at the Mighty Mezz.
The Messenger was the best job I ever had.
As a Transit retiree, I get a disability-pension.
That ‘pyooter had all the account information and Social Security numbers of those retirees.
That bank moved quickly.
Our retiree information had been compromised.
The bank purchased “Triple-Advantage®” credit-monitoring from Experian, although we individual retirees had to activate it.
I did, but nothing ever happened.
Every month I’d get an e-mail from Experian reporting no changes or suspect behavior.
That credit-monitoring lasted two years, I guess.
So a few months ago I began getting fevered notices from Experian to extend my credit-monitoring.
So I did, or so I thought, plugging in what I thought was the code the bank had given us.
No matter, Experian kept sending gloom-and-doom notices about my credit-monitoring ending.
Yesterday (Wednesday, September 29, 2010) we got a final-notice from Experian; our credit-monitoring had ended.
“What? I thought I renewed that.”
“Please call our ‘Customer-Care’ 800-number.”
I bet I get a machine.
“Please hold during the silence. We value your call so much it will be answered in the order it was received.
Please key in your account-number.
The system can’t process your request; goodbye!”
I won’t renew.
Every time our credit-card was compromised (twice, so far; over 40 years), it was the credit-card bank that notified us. —Once was only a couple bucks.
In each case they ate it.

• “‘Pyooter” is computer.
• The “Mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired almost five years ago. (“Canandaigua” [“cannon-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 15 miles away.)
• “We” is me and my wife of almost 43 years, “Linda.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home