Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cellphone use while driving is illegal

I am calmly motoring west on County Road 39, returning from Boughton Park (“BOW-tin;” as in “wow”) after walking our dog.
A glowering intimidator has zoomed up behind me in a full-size black Chevrolet pickup truck.
He’s climbing my back bumper.
I try to wick it up a little.
I’m approaching the intersection with Bement Road, semi-blind on one side, the view partially obstructed by a berm.
Bement Road has a stop-sign on each side. County Road 39 is through.
I’m doing 45-50 mph.
Suddenly a creme-colored Toyota Corolla pulls out from the semi-blind (north) side, right in front of me.
I execute a giant swerve, and hit the brakes.
“She has her cellphone,” we both cry.
It’s glued to her ear, and she’s not seeing us at all. —She’s looking ahead.
If I’da T-boned her, which I didn’t, she wouldn’t have seen me at all.
“Like, where did he come from?”
I thought cellphone use in this state while driving was illegal.
No matter. Everyone is doing it.
Later, in Honeoye Falls, a girl turned around me with her cellphone plastered to her ear.
At least she didn’t try an insane maneuver.
A while ago I nearly got backed into in the Honeoye Falls MarketPlace parking-lot — I had to jump out of the way.
Then the driver was incensed I had the awful temerity and unmitigated gall and horrific audacity to disturb her cellphone call.
She wasn’t about to take her cellphone from her ear; she never stopped yammering.
“Sorry Mother, some guy just hit my side-window with his fist. I don’t know what that was all about.”
I too have a cellphone, but it goes in my back pocket when I drive.
If it rings, I ain’t answerin’.
It’s goin’ to voicemail.

• A “glowering intimidator” is a tailgater, named after Dale Earnhardt, deceased, the so-called “intimidator” of NASCAR fame, who used to tailgate race-leaders and bump them at speed until they let him pass.
• My wife was riding shotgun.
• Cellphone use in NY while driving IS illegal.
• “Honeoye (‘HONE-eee-oy;' rhymes with 'boy') Falls” is the nearest village to the west to where we live in western New York, a rural village about five miles away.
• “MarketPlace” is a fairly large independent supermarket in Honeoye Falls we shop at.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger camerabanger said...

Last week a cellphone driver (I combine the description for my ease)eased past me on the right- I was going straight while he passed me in the right turn lane- then he cut in front of me and was 12 feet closer to his destination than if he'd waited behind me where he belonged. Of course the Karma of his maneuver was great, but I was determined to stay sane. A few moments later he blocked me from passing him once the roadway opened up to 4 lanes and I lost it...! As I passed him on the right (which I hated doing) he gave me the finger with the hand that wasn't using the cell phone. Must have been steering with his knees. I hate cellphone drivers.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home