Monday, September 13, 2010

A retired computer programmer weighs in.......

.....on the Dominion Optical-Scan voting system.
“You would think in an age of iPads and iPods and iPhones and iEverything, they could come up with something better than this,” my wife said.
“An iVote perhaps.
A touch-screen voting system that automatically tells you if you voted wrong, and prints out the screen in case your vote needed to be hand-counted.
Scan your ballot, after which the system tells ya you voted wrong? That’s backwards!” she said.
My wife retired as a computer programmer.
“Yeah, but ya gotta allow for the Granny factor,” I said. “After all, it’s Granny that votes.
It was my wife’s 94-year-old mother who once told us “I ain’t callin’ no cellphone.”
Requiring us to continue our landline.
She’s called our cellphone since.
It was also my wife’s mother who loudly declared, “Computers! I sure am glad you understand ‘em.”
Granny walks into the voting-booth, faces a touch-screen, and has a heart-attack.
The ambulance is called.
Mercy-Flight lands in the parking-lot.
Election-inspectors put her on the gurney.
The brochure (pictured) has me voting for the best flavor ice-cream.
Chocolate, of course.
Where’s sauerkraut supreme?

• My wife of almost 43 years is “Linda.”
• “Mercy-Flight “ is the local helicopter ambulance service.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home