Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Everyone keeps telling me I’m a miracle......

.....and I might just start believin’ yaz some day.
I went to my cardiologist yesterday (Tuesday, September 21, 2010)
“Ya look great, better than last year,” the cardiologist said.
“Well, maybe so,” I said. “If you say so.”
“You’re doing two 35-minute sessions three days per week on cardio-machines at age 66?” he said.
“That’s phenomenal!
And you’re still running?”
“Yep,” I said. “Although what I say is my knees still let me.”
“You’ve lost weight, and your blood-pressure is normal.
Another 10 pounds and you’d be at 175.”
“I’d rather be at 140,” I said.
This is not the first time I’ve heard talk like this.
People tell me I look great, and I’ve gotten the “you’re 66” look.
My wife tells I look better than years ago.
I look in the mirror and I see an overweight man; not grossly obese, but carrying excess poundage.
I see my shadow and I see a semi-hunched little old man.
My hair is white and thinning.
My hairline is receding.
People ask how I am, and I say “Okay, I guess......”
A few months ago we renewed a prescription for hay-fever nasal spray, and we co-payed $85.
We wondered about that since my co-pay last year was $45.
We called my medical insurance, a Medicare Advantage plan.
“Your husband has only one prescription beside this?
Usually someone his age might have 10.
Lessee; you’re nowhere near the donut-hole.
That prescription is Tier 2. It was last year too, but we had to increase the co-pay.”
(Tier 2 are apparently non-generic. I guess there are even Tier 3 and up that co-pay even more.)
I have to concentrate to keep my mouth closed, avoiding the slack-jawed look of my father as he aged.
I’m forgetful and make mistakes.
But people keep telling me I’m a miracle.
Well, maybe so.

• I also had a stroke at age 49 (October 26, 1993).
• “We” is me and my wife of almost 43 years, “Linda.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home