Friday, April 24, 2009

big picture

I hafta hit the Bloomfield branch of the Canandaigua National Bank on the way to the Canandaigua YMCA.
I hafta deposit some checks.
I arrow off 5&20 into Bloomfield, and do the drop-boxes at the Bloomfield post-office. —I never mail from our mailbox, since I was told that mailboxes often get rifled.
After the post-office, I pass the Bloomfield branch of Canandaigua National Bank, and notice that three cars are clogging the drive-up.
So, into the CNB parking-lot, since going inside is minutes faster than idling for 10 minutes at the drive-up.
In-and-out in about three minutes; no one was inside but me.
I amble back outside, access the CR-V in the parking-lot, and a mad race is on to see who can get outta the parking-lot first.
Macho-man climbs into his navy F150, and another macho-man gets in his black Wagoneer.
STAND BACK! These guys are probably gonna back into my path.
Nope; I guess F150-man is dragging on a cigarette; and the backup lights wink on on the Wagoneer, but nobody moves.
So I start outta the CNB parking-lot, toward State Route 444, a main drag through Bloomfield (previously Holcomb).
But at the exit I see Granny approaching in a dark Corolla; angrily waving me out.
Well sorry Granny, but you’re being followed by a red Ford Ranger pickup, and it looks like he’s gonna pass ya to continue south on 444.
I can’t just boom-and-zoom and hit him broadside.
Sorry Granny, but I drove bus, and I don’t trust fevered waving no matter how agitated ya are.
There is such a thing as eying the big picture.

  • Our checking account and safe deposit box are at “Canandaigua National Bank” (“CNB”); but not at the Bloomfield branch.
  • I work out in the “Canandaigua YMCA” exercise-gym. I usually hook other errands to visits there; 2-3 days per week.
  • “5&20” is the main east-west road (a two-lane highway) through our area; State Route 5 and U.S. Route 20, both on the same road. 5&20 is just south of where we live.
  • We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western N.Y. Adjacent is the rural town of East Bloomfield, and the village of Bloomfield is within it. The Town of “Holcomb,” to the southeast, seceded from Bloomfield long ago, but recently merged back into Bloomfield village.
  • The “CR-V” is our 2003 Honda CR-V SUV.
  • An “F150” is the Ford F150 pickup truck. It’s the smallest capacity full-size Ford pickup; it will carry one half-ton. (250 is three-quarter ton; 350 one ton).) —A “Wagoneer” is the Jeep Wagoneer station-wagon; a large capacity SUV. This was the most recent model; a Chrysler product.
  • For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service, the transit-bus operator in Rochester, NY. It required hyper defensive driving.

    Labels:

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home