Monday, September 17, 2007

TWO INCIDENTS........

LET’S SEE IF I CAN REMEMBER ALL THIS IN FULL;

-1) Here I am quietly driving east on West Ave. in Canandaigua, shortly after exiting the tiny shopping-plaza parking-lot where I park when I attend the vaunted Canandaigua YMCA.
I only go a little way on West Ave., under a railroad overpass and then up a short hill to turn south (right) onto the main drag through Canandaigua. I’m headed toward mighty Weggers.
Just past the railroad-bridge, and adjacent to the hill, is the Canandaigua City-Hall, an ancient building that may or may not be being used. The City-Hall fronts the main drag, but parking is alongside West Ave. down to the railroad-bridge; a bunch of slots at 90° to West Ave.
Suddenly GrandPop backs his silver Sebring from a parking-slot out into my path.
I am absolutely terrified, or so I’m told by siblings “hunderds” of miles away who know me far better than I possibly can, because I use the wrong toothpaste, etc.
Enough to freeze? I don’t think so, although my siblings will claim I did.
I slam on the brakes, after which GrandPop pulls back into the slot, but nope; he’s turning around and madly arrowing onto West Ave., ahead of me, blasting through empty parking-slots next to his.
West Ave. intersects the main drag with a traffic-light, which is red, so we stop, me behind the Sebring.
Sorry guys; no Dubya-sticker.

-2) I park at mighty Weggers, and walk toward the store.
Suddenly GrandPop (again) is flooring his white Buick Park Avenue in reverse out of the handicap-slot.
He hits the brakes after I jump on his trunk.
I calmly get off, and glance at his rear deck-lid.
Sorry guys; no Dubya-sticker. (Sure drove like a Dubya-supporter — “Get outta my way, you liberial!”)
But it did have a Christian fish amongst “Support-Our-Troops” ribbons.

  • “Mighty Weggers” is Wegmans, a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester we often buy groceries at. They have a store in Canandaigua.
  • “Hunderd” is how my loudmouthed macho brother-from-Boston noisily insists “hundred” is spelled. He also loudly claims “Liberal” is spelled “Liberial.”
  • “Dubya-sticker” is a Bush-Cheney 2004 bumper-sticker. All insane traffic-moves seem to involve Bush-supporters. They seem to think they have the right.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home