Monday, September 17, 2007

Netscape follies continued:

A number of givens are at work here:
-1) I have two e-mails: -a) my MyWay account (bobbalew25@myway.com) which is an Internet e-mail, and -b) my old RoadRunner account (rhughes3@rochester.rr.com), which directly accesses the great e-mail server in the sky, the PoP-server.
-2) Both e-mails deliver to the mighty Mezz, but responding only works to rhughes3@rochester.rr.com, apparently because MyWay is an Internet e-mail, and access to the dreaded Internet is blocked, to keep people from surfing.
(Apparently even Google was blocked at first, but a patch was applied to allow Google, but I wonder if that allowed going a step beyond Google.)
-3) So, in other words, a Messenger response to a MyWay e-mail bounces. The work-around was to respond to rhughes3@rochester.rr.com, but in my humble experience that’s a step many Messenger employees can’t take. (“All I know is the response button.”)
-4) My MyWay e-mail allows “view as HTML,” which means I can paste in my AppleWorks file (like this) that already has the HTML-tags in it.
What appears in a MyWay e-mail is exactly what appears in FlagOut, and the blog: text wrapping around picture-tables, links, formatting, etc.
-5) RoadRunner e-mail doesn’t have the “view as HTML” feature, but does have a power-editor, which allows formatting (bold, italic). (MyWay has a power-editor too, but it’s only beta, and doesn’t work.) Picture-tables and links don’t work under RoadRunner; pictures have to be attached (under the text), and links deleted.
-6) My Netscape e-mail isn’t updating its “sent.” The java-script that does that is dislocated.

With all these givens in mind.........
-A) I upgraded to new version of Netscape last night (Sunday, September 16, 2007); 9.03 versus my old (yet fairly recent) 7.2.
But all it is is Navigator, a browser. There’s no longer an e-mail function.
So now I’m fiddling FlagOut with 9.03; but I kept 7.2 for e-mailing the Messenger Ne’er-do-wells.
-B) We added Linda to the Messenger Ne’er-do-wells, since we’ve had no success getting the “sent” to update. It’s a bass-ackwards solution to the not-updating “sent” problem, but I hardly ever use Netscape e-mail anyway. Next is to add bobbalew25@myway.com to the Messenger Ne’er-do-wells.
-C) We tried saving the AppleWorks file as an HTML-file, but the RoadRunner still sends just the text; i.e. Linda’s browser (she’s using IE) won’t display it as HTML. It would probably have to be attached to the e-mail as an HTML-file, whereas a copy/paste into the e-mail body is only moving text.

  • The “mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired. Best job I ever had.
  • “FlagOut” is our family’s web-site, named that because I had a mentally-retarded kid-brother (Down Syndrome) who lived at home, and loudly insisted the flag be flown every day. “Flag-Out! Sun comes up, the flag goes up! Sun goes down, the flag comes down.” I fly the flag partly in his honor. (He died at 14 in 1968.)
  • “Linda” is my wife.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home