Friday, March 05, 2021

“Don’t overdo it!”

—Having perused the sugar-hits in the bakery in Canandaigua’s Wegmans, I arrowed my cart toward the banana-rack.
There she was, ******, alias “the pigtail girl,” long blonde hair braided into pigtails.
“Don’t overdo it,” my little voice said.
“Just saying hello,” I said to her.
She looked up and smiled at me. We were wearing masks, but her eyes sparkled.
When I first spoke to ******, perhaps three weeks ago, I thought she might take my head off.
She’s a big sturdy girl, but her smile makes her a pretty little thing.
“Maybe I'll come back later after you’re done,” I said to her. Her banana-rack was still half empty.
I left to continue shopping but remembered I still needed bananas. When I returned ****** was gone.
A shame, since I forgot to use her name. I don't call her “pigtail-girl” anymore; I wanna remain friends.
Dale Carnegie says the most important thing you can do to make friends is to use the person’s name.
I never learned that, but now, 70 years late, I find it really works. Especially with women, who I befriend like crazy, but that’s another story.
Apparently addressing a person by name tells them you value their company.
And I failed to use ******’s name.
Shopping complete, I turned into self check-out. There was Long Tall Sally, who I wouldn’t dare call that. It would hurt her feelings.
Don’t overdo it,” the little voice repeated.
“Just saying hello,” I said. “Happy to see ya!”
“How are you?” she exclaimed.
“I recognize you, and you recognize me.”
“‘******’, eh? I’ll hafta remember that, even though I’m no good at names.”
We talked a little before I left. There’s lots more I could say to her but “don’t overdo it.”
After self check-out I use the restroom before my long drive home.
When I came back out there was ****** stocking tangerines.
I steered toward her. “******,” I shouted. “You got it!” she said, smiling again.
Smashing success, from not overdoing it. Ladies smile at me, especially ******. Her eyes sparkled, and a while ago I thought she might take my head off.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home