Wednesday, July 29, 2020

HTML wars

—“Thank goodness I know a little HTML,” I said to myself.
This blog-site made changes to its interface only partially announced.
I fired it up the other day to test segments of a giant blog I’m writing about my brother and I chasing and photographing trains in Altoona (PA).
I clicked “compose,” then pasted in my word-processor document (my blog), then I hit “publish.”
It showed me their new interface.
“You can still use our ‘legacy interface’ (their prior interface), but that ends August 24th.”
I found the new interface’s “View,” but no longer were my paragraph-returns being read. Everything was meshed into one gigantic blob of text.
Try “Legacy interface.”
Same blob.
Blogger didn't say it was no longer reading my paragraph returns. Text I intended to bold or italicize wasn't being bolded or italicized.
Engage guile-and-cunning!
I have HTML tags in my word-processor documents that Blogger previously read. I guess my published blogs are HTML documents.
I need those paragraph-drops. I changed all my paragraph-returns to the “<br>” HTML-tag.
That got my paragraph-drops. (“<br>” gets a one-line paragraph drop.“<p>” gets a two-line drop.)
Previously I used “<span style=“font-weight:bold>” and “</span>” to embolden and to end-bold text.
Previously I used “<span style=“font-weight:italic >” to begin-italicize, and </span> to end-italicize.
So what if I try “<b>” to begin bolded, and “</b>” to end it. And “<i>” to begin italic.; plus “</b>” or “</i>” to end either.
Try it and see what happens!”
It worked!
(“Toy not with the master!”)
Hours of horsing around! (Blew almost the entire day!)
Would anyone else my age do this? (Age-76.)
Not rocket-science!
I can imagine another widower friend of mine throwing up his hands in despair.
I also noticed another hairball when I made a mistake and deleted my “Beast” blog.
I have yet to see a way of adding a picture with his new interface.
The legacy interface would do it; so now I guess I can add a picture up until August 24.
Thank you blogger! No doubt yer calling this an improvement NOT!
What sense does it make to blog “The Beast,” when I can’t picture “The Beast” after August 24th?
And after August 24th I no longer can post all the train-pictures my brother and I took down in Altoona.
Like what’s the point? (All to continue doing 200 mph in your Lamborghinis!)
All the more reason to set up my own website.
I’ve always wanted to.

• “HTML” is Hyper-Text Markup Language, a background instruction system made invisible by surrounding carets (“<” and “>”). I use it to embolden, underline and italicize text, although it can do other things.
• My wife died eight years ago, which makes me a widower.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home