Saturday, June 13, 2020

On “Rape”

—Titling my blog about my recent haircut “Rape of the Lock,” got me thinking about the word “rape.”
The Rape of the Lock” was a burlesque written by English poet Alexander Pope in the early 1700s.
It treated theft of a lock of hair from a British damsel without her permission. That caused a gigantic flap among upper-class British families.
Back then “rape” didn’t have the sexual connotation it has now.
By that earlier definition I could say my first kiss was “rape.” It was stolen by Linda ********, youngest child of Ed and Dorothy ********.
Their other child was “Dee-Dee,” also named Dorothy, but called “Dee-Dee” to distinguish her from her mother.
“Dee-Dee” was maybe three years older than me, Linda the same age.
The ******** where our neighbors in Erlton. They lived at 623 Jefferson Avenue, we at 625.
Linda and I were hiding in shrubbery in front of 623. We were both about age 3 or 4.
All-of-a-sudden Linda kissed me, a stolen kiss. I started crying =rape.” I hadn’t permitted her.
Many kisses occurred since, all requested or per my permission. But that first kiss was “rape” by the old definition. I felt violated.
Our friendship wained. I no longer was comfortable with Linda ******** = a “rapist.”

• “Erlton” (‘EARL-tin’) is the small suburb of Philadelphia in south Jersey where I lived until I was 13. Erlton was founded in the ‘30s, named after its developer, whose name was Earl.
• Perhaps because of this incident, I was always leery of anyone named “Linda.” For 44&1/2 years I was married to a “Linda.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home