Saturday, February 29, 2020

Pearls-of-wisdom

—“I bet you troll that Facebook every minute,” my brother-in-Boston exclaimed.
I do not!” I shouted. “I admit I have a Facebook, but it’s lucky if it gets five minutes per day.”
My brother refuses to Facebook; it’s decidedly unmacho.
“I have a Facebook due to a fast-one by SuckerBird and his cronies 10 years ago. I’d dump it, except too many of my real friends use Facebook.
“You can’t dump it,” my brother said. “Betty’s still exists.”
“As does Linda’s,” I noted. Betty is my sister, and Linda was my wife. Both died eight years ago.
“I need a death-certificate to close Linda’s Facebook. Ain’t doin’ it! If they wanna be jerks, let it slide. No activity to her Facebook for eight years.”
My brother reflects a perception I heard before. Facebook is for people lacking a life. About all I do with my Facebook is post blog-links, plus occasional pictures, videos, and magazine articles.
I never look at my “Home-Page.” That five minutes is looking at Facebook’s “notifications” (the bell). What’s there is usually notification about one “friend” adding to her “story.”
I rifle it, since all she ever talks about are her soap-opera friends, plus her friends in Wide-Wild-World of Prefessional Wrastling. (Ker-SLAM!)
I also get notification about posts to my cousin’s anti-Trump Facebook group. He is “moderator;” he can disapprove a post. Most of the magazine articles are interesting; would that I had time to read ‘em.
I also get notification about posts from another Facebook “friend;” a person my brother calls a “flirt.” She happens to be female, and cute.
I don’t get everything she posts, but I visit her page every day because she occasionally posts pearls-of-wisdom.
The fact she and I are “friends” is another fast-one by SuckerBird and his cronies: secretly plumbing my iPhone contacts.
That’s about all I do with Facebook. I only have 60 “friends,” not hundreds.
I have other Facebook “friends,” some of whom could be called “flirts.” Once-in-a-while they post something worth reading, although that one “friend” seems more inclined to post a pearl-of-wisdom.
And thanks to Facebook I reconnected with people who were once real friends.

• “SuckerBird” is Mark Zuckerberg, founder and head-honcho of Facebook.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home