Sunday, September 15, 2019

Balance considerations

—“What I really want is to be able to continue walking my dog.”
I told that to my Physical-Therapist at a nearby hospital.
It’s balance-training, which I did in a YMCA swimming-pool for 2-3 years — maybe more; I forget.
My balance was degrading, so a YMCA water-therapy coach, who uses the same dog-groomer I use, suggested she could help me.
I tried that, but it seemed my balance worsened over time. What got much better was my ability to counter bad balance. I hardly fall any more.
But it seemed like I was beating my head against the wall. A neurology-practice wrote me a scrip for dry-land balance-training at a hospital Physical-Therapy.
I decided to try that, dropping out of my pool balance-training class for the moment. I continue to use the pool on-my-own.
Dry-land seemed more specific to my balance problem, plus it’s one-on-one. Still, I like sloshing around in a swimming-pool, since it’s balance-challenging.
And maintaining balance seems a function of core-strength, which in my case went away, I guess.
“So how many falls over the past week?” my therapist asked.
“I cannot tell a lie,” I said. “Three falls.”
“This is what I worry about,” she said. “Every fall risks breaking something.”
Well yes, but for them a fall seems catastrophic.
“One was a gentle sit-down, and none were hard,” I added. “I’ve fallen enough to know how to do it. Roll it out to dissipate energy, and keep your head from hitting the ground.
I usually end up on my back. Plus when I start falling I grab things to ease my fall.”
I also analyzed my falls. In my house or on pavement seem catastrophic. I’ve done neither in years.
99% of my falls are on turf, or in woods. I go out of my way to avoid tripping. I watch where I put my feet: roots, rocks, “curb-coming.”
Paying so much attention wasn’t the case years ago. Compensation was fairly automatic. Now I hafta allow for questionable balance.
“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up! Call 9-1-1! Call a tow-truck!”
Getting off my riding-mower has to be done just so. Otherwise I’ll trip and fall hard: I have.
So far one knee replaced. The one remaining is still the one I was born with, but it hurts occasionally.
I did rehab after that knee-replacement, “but you’re not discharging me until I know I can get up after a fall.”
“Falls are a definite no-no!” my therapist shrieked.
I had to move heaven and earth to get that therapist to allow me to try getting up from the floor, but he acquiesced.
I did it, so “you can discharge me.”
Both a cane or walking-stick were suggested. I tried each, but they are so hard to manipulate I decided to avoid both. It also seemed neither offset instability or would stifle a fall.
I don’t do that bad YET, and don’t wanna become dependent.
Dry-land physical-therapy continues, and I feel I’m getting better = more stable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home