Friday, September 13, 2019

Get the endorphins flowing

“You gotta quit smiling at me!”
I said that to a lady-friend at Canandaigua’s YMCA swimming-pool.
“Just saying goodbye,” I said. She broke into a smile that brightened the entire pool-area.
I hung around just to do that; I hadn’t walked out.
If there’s one thing I learned since my beloved wife died it’s to do such things. Call it flirting if you wish.
NO PRETTY GIRL WILL SMILE AT YOU!” And there’s my friend smiling at me.
Another thing I learned is my Sunday-School Superintendent neighbor, and hyper-religious parents, were WRONG.
I learn that 70 years late.
When I go to Altoona (PA) to take train-photos, I always stay at the same motor-lodge — in hopes I’ll see the lady-friend I’ve seen before.
She recognizes me, and I recognize her. We wave and smile at each other, then talk.
We’re worlds apart, but it does us both good. Get the endorphins flowing. I make her laugh.
And she loves it. I can tell.
So I better do it. 10 years ago I wouldna; and that wasn’t because I was married.
Back then I was scared = frightened of ladies, especially the pretty ones.
I’d like to think my wife would be pleased I’m finally realizing I’m not scum. (That’s my Sunday-School Superintendent neighbor.)
That pool-friend isn’t the only one. Others smile at me too.
I’m 75 years old, out-of-shape, and never was Adonis. Yet ladies gravitate toward me. “Talk to me. Make me laugh!”
And I ain’t tryin’; it just happens.
Recently a pretty young girl told me ladies love laughing.
A few weeks ago a young Physical-Therapist smiled at me. I was smitten! Now I call her “Smiley;” we’re always smiling at each other.
It’s called “get the endorphins flowing,” and thereby make each other feel good.
I realized it was smiling that did it. I’m always a sucker for easy smilers. NO PRETTY LADY WILL SMILE AT YOU!” My entire childhood is being flip-flopped.
So I’m sure I’ll try again with my pool-friend. Maybe I can get her to brighten the pool-area again. I will do us both good.
Just yesterday as I walked out of the hospital Physical-Therapy: “Gotta say goodbye to this receptionist.” Smile alert!

• For 2-3 years or more I did aquatic balance training in the Canandaigua YMCA’s swimming-pool. I dropped out for the moment so I could try dry-land balance-training at a hospital Physical-Therapy. I continue to use the pool on-my-own.
• Altoona, PA is on the eastern side of Allegheny Mountain, where the Pennsylvania Railroad crossed that mountain toward Pittsburgh. Pennsy is now Norfolk Southern, and my younger brother and I are railfans. We visit Altoona frequently to photograph trains, and that segment of the railroad is very busy, since it’s a main thoroughfare to the east-coast megalopolis.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home