Monday, October 22, 2018

We never went to no Moon!”

“Why is it,” I asked myself; “whenever I take on ‘time-saving technology’ it turns into another late night? So far well over an hour has been wasted.”
Not long ago I mistakenly triggered e-mail billing from my electricity supplier. I did that years ago, but gave up after madness from their end. I switched back to paper.
But now by mistake I was back to e-mail.
I can’t view the actual bill. It’s a .pdf, and my pdf-reader won’t display it without a secret password. (I don’t remember setting up a pdf password.)
But last month’s e-mail showed what I owed. I paid that. This month they billed me $105.55, which was what I set up in my bank’s electronic bill-pay. But the bank deducted $105.24. Go figure!
The e-mail gave me a “view-bill,” so I clicked that. They wanted a login and password.
So began time-gobbling madness. I decided to try setting up.
They wanted my name. I did that. It bombed claiming my name wasn’t “a valid e-mail address.”
HUH?
I cranked my e-mail address into the “name” boxes, after which it bombed as not a valid name. Back to cranking my name into the “name” boxes. Like before it wanted “a valid e-mail address.”
Yeah, I know: I was born in the wrong century = “we never went to no Moon.” I was being driven in circles, but a millennial would understand.
It also claimed my e-mail address was invalid. I looked it over. It was the same e-mail I always use. They wanted me to set up a new e-mail.
I ain’t settin’ up no separate e-mail just so they can warn me to pull my toaster-plug.
Only one e-mail for this kid; just like only one credit-card.
I also get the gloom-and-doom weather warnings on my radio. “The end of the world is nigh!” Eventually it showers and thunders.
The other day my smartphone screamed loudly. A presidential alert, I’m told. A chance for The Donald to tweet from his Great White Throne.
“Everything is hunky-dory despite them evil Democrats.”
Finally after frenzied searching I found “Contact-us.” Exceed five words and you’re beyond comprehension for most. I screenshot some of the madness, but there was no place to attach.
“Your question will be answered in two business-days.” “WE-SHALL-SEE!” Probably from Indonesia. “We value your business” in broken English.
It was almost midnight when I got to bed having gotten nowhere. Well over three hours “saving time.”
And now Edward Jones, my financial service, sent me a letter claiming my e-mail address is invalid. Again, looked okay to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home