Monday, October 01, 2018

Derring-do

In an act of incredible derring-do, Yrs Trly tried his new debit-card for the first time in his entire life.
“I may need help,” I said to the clerk at Canandaigua’s Petco; “born as I was in the prior century, which as we all know was fabrication by Hollywood and Walter Cronkite — we never went to no Moon!”
She didn’t call Security. Say that to the average checkout and they switch on their alert-light.
“Is your card activated?” she asked.
“Yes.”
“Shove it into the chip-reader, then follow the prompts.”
”Yer system will probably want a PIN-number.”
“Didja do that?”
“Yep; here goes!”
Actually this new card replaces my ancient ATM-card, which became unreliable due to cracking. Replacement had to be debit-card.
All I had earlier was a single credit-card — not the usual 89 bazilyun with thousands in unpaid debt. Credit-cards delay funds outlay until the monthly credit-card payment is due, which I pay in-full.
Recently my credit-card account-number was stolen. The fourth time, and my most recent credit-card was only a month old.
Suddenly I was between credit-cards. I rejoined the cash society. I eagerly await credit-card number-five.
I visited Petco yesterday, but forgot to purchase dog-kibble. It wasn’t on my iPhone list. Meanwhile there was my new debit-card in my unopened mail. I decided to try it.
“As I understand it, this card charges my checking-account. So I need a receipt so I can enter it.
I also hope you can carry that heavy dog-food bag out to my car. I’m hanging on to a lunging shoplifter.” (I had my dog with me; Petco allows ‘em.)
Next is online ordering with my debit-card. The clerk and I discussed that. But I await my new credit-card. I’d rather put off funds outlay, plus not fork over an inflated price to the merchant.
Actually I pay full-price, but my card-issuer gets 5% (or whatever).
“You scratch my back, and I’ll scratch yours.” No matter which card I use I pay the inflated price. That merchant inflated the price to offset losing that 5%. With my debit-card the merchant collects that 5%, instead of my credit-card issuer, who would use that 5% to pay off his Porsche.
So who’s making out like bandits? I get fleeced no matter which card I use.
“Make America honky again!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home