Saturday, February 03, 2018

“Iggles” versus “Pasties”

“Just don’t call during the Super-Bowl,” said the lady from Above-and-Beyond English-Setter Rescue regarding my adopting a rescue Irish-Setter.
“Are you going to be watching the Super-Bowl?” the lady asked. She was from Valley Forge, PA, which is near Philadelphia.
“I doubt it,” I said. “I’m not interested in football, and after 10 minutes it becomes just another football game.”
“Go Eagles!” she said. “It’s ‘Iggles,’” I interjected. “I can hear yer accent, and the correct Philadelphia pronunciation is ‘Iggles.’”
Her accent is what I call the Philadelphia accent. I have a little myself — I’m from south Jersey and northern DE. I been in Rochester over 50 years, so not much accent is left.
Not much was left in the lady from Valley Forge, but I could hear it, mainly her pronunciation of “O’s.”
“Iggles” versus “Pasties.” The Super-Bowl, which my brother-in-Boston proudly misspelled ”Supper-Bowl” and “Bowel.” It presents an interesting mano-a-mano. One brother lives near Boston, and trumpets the Patriots, who my other brother’s wife called “The Patsies” — which my brother-from-Boston promptly misspelled as “Pasties.”
My other brother, from northern DE, who is more laid back, supports the Eagles, who I pronounce “Iggles.” Northern DE is part of the Delaware Valley, and people from that area pronounce it “Iggles.”
At least “Booger” did. ”Booger” was a resident of Marcus Hook south of Philadelphia. “The Boog” proudly attended “Iggles” football games, got drunk, and led noisy parties in the grandstand. If his beloved “Iggles” mucked up, and back then they often did, he’d hurl garbage onto the gridiron.
“The Boog” was on my summer painter-crew during college. He was a company regular, not from the union-hall.
The world does indeed have an armpit, and it’s Marcus Hook, PA. Marcus Hook was once the location of two oil-refineries. One was Sun Oil, now gone. The other was Sinclair, but after numerous owners it’s now Monroe Energy, LLC, a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines. It gives Delta a stable source of jet fuel, especially when Gulf Coast refineries are closed due to hurricanes.
Sun’s refinery is being repurposed to distribute natural-gas from PA fracking. The refinery was torn down.
The old Sinclair refinery was not actually in Marcus Hook. It’s in Trainer, PA, which is right next door. It’s been renamed “Trainer Refinery,” and is still an oil-refinery. But it’s close enough to make Marcus Hook stink. (Although it’s no longer as bad as it was; refineries had to limit release of volatile [stinky] vapors.)
So who wins? Iggles or Pasties? I hope it’s the Iggles, but only because I want the vaunted Pasties to get beat. They could hang their head in shame, while the Iggles show at the White-House. —Unless they get fired beforehand.
I don’t really care who wins; it will quickly be forgotten. What I wanna do is replace my silly dog. Only Irish-Setters seem nutty.
(Sinclair was acquired by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) in 1969.)

• During the summers of 1963, ’64, ’65, and after I graduated college in 1966, I worked as a laborer for an independent painter-crew, first at my father’s DE oil-refinery. I first met “The Boog” in 1963. and he loved to intimidate “Little Bobby” until I came after him with a broomstick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home