Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Internet speed follies


100 Mbps my foot! (Screenshot by BobbaLew.)

Spectrum, alias Spectrum/Time-Warner, previously Time-Warner Cable, my ISP (Internet-Service-Provider) and cable-TV service, brags my Internet has been upped to 100 Mbps (Megabits per second).
“Oh yeah?” I say. “WE-SHALL-SEE!” I happen to have an Internet speed-test on this rig. The results are screenshotted above.
Previously I was at 60 Mbps. I ran the speed-test and saw as much as 75+.
Other ISP’s, like my phone-company, mail special promotions to upgrade me to “high-speed” Internet of 25 Mbps or so. (??????)
As previously, even at 60 Mbps, when the kids up the street fired up their Internet games, my Internet went south.
I challenge it. On weekends I run streaming-railfan video from Cresson, PA, where the old Pennsylvania Railroad climbed and crossed Allegheny Mountain.
Video over the Internet requires a lot. I doubt 15-20 years ago it could be done. Years ago a webcam was at Horseshoe Curve, but it’s gone. Horseshoe Curve is the trick the railroad used to climb Allegheny Mountain without impossible grades. That railroad is no longer Pennsy; it’s now Norfolk Southern, but it’s still the same alignment as when first opened.
I run Cresson’s webcam on Saturday afternoons because Rochester’s classical-music station, WXXI, airs opera, which I can’t stand. 350-pound stringy-haired blonds screaming Ride of the Valkyries at the top of their lungs, stabbings, murders, star-crossed lovers jumping hand-in-hand off castle parapets into roiling ocean.
So fire up Cresson’s webcam — I’m a railfan. But each Saturday afternoon, especially in Winter, that webcam slows to a crawl. Often it freezes or dives altogether.
It will be interesting to see what happens with my speeded-up Internet. Spectrum’s techie promised my previous difficulties would disappear when a few months ago they upgraded me to 60. But it still slows anyway, and often freezes.
So la-dee-dah! Spectrum bragging is fine. They have speeded my Internet. But I wouldn’t surprised my Cresson webcam still locks come Saturday afternoon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home