Thursday, January 18, 2018

Make ‘em laugh

“Oh goodie!” bubbled *****, my pretty young pharmacist. “Your calendar; I was hoping we’d get one. I look forward to it.”
Every year Yrs Trly has Shutterfly make a calendar of train photos my brother and I took near Altoona, PA. I send ‘em as Christmas presents, although I was delayed this year by printing issues.
Almost $3,000 for 65 calendars. “Holy moly!” said another girl.
“Don’t forget I really love doin’ ‘em.”
I am a graduate of the Hilda Q. Walton School of Sexual Relations. Hilda was my Sunday-School Superintendent, also my next door neighbor.
In concert with my parents she convinced me as a child all pants-wearers, including me, were scum. That no girl would ever wanna talk to me.
As a result I was always intimidated, especially by pretty girls.
My wife offset that by actually liking me. My wife liking me made it possible for me to avoid talking to girls.
Now with my wife gone I’m discovering girls seem to enjoy my talking to them.
“Ya wanna hear a story?” I asked *****. “Got a minute?”
“Sure,” ***** smiled.
“04T, east on Two, 242, CLEAR!”
I had to explain everything, and even then I’m sure she didn’t follow.
But she loved it. I was talking to her.
Mrs. Walton is now up to 14,000 rpm. “She won’t wanna talk to you.
But there she is, a pretty girl, smiling broadly.
***** wasn’t the first calendar I handed out. I delivered another to the nearby kennel where I occasionally daycared my dog before I put her to sleep. There I met ******, a co-owner of the kennel.
“Yippee, the calendar. We got a space for it.
“Wanna hear a story?” I asked.
“Sure.”
“04T, east on Two, 242, CLEAR!”
Again, no idea what I was talking about, but she was thrilled.
“Wanna hear another?” I asked.
“Sure,” she giggled.
This story was totally unrelated to chasing trains, but I had her holding her head in laughter.
Now Mrs. Walton is up to 20,000 rpm. She could power a town.
I keep discovering girls love my makin’ ‘em laugh, even when my stories aren’t that funny — even the pretty ones I previously avoided.
In other words, Mrs. Walton and my parents were full-of-it!
“Wanna hear a story?”
“Sure!”


• My wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her immensely. Best friend I ever had, and after my childhood I sure needed one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home