Saturday, January 13, 2018

I had a stroke (Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk)

“Yer talkin’ to a stroke-survivor,” I told the service-rep at Spectrum/Time-Warner.
Spectrum is my cable-TV and Internet. They’re going digital next week, which retires my DVD player. It won’t crunch their new digital TV signal; I hafta have a Spectrum DVR.
At first I wasn’t telling people I had a stroke. My aphasia isn’t bad, hardly noticeable.
It makes sense to spill in advance. My contact won’t get angry when I can’t get words out. “I may hafta have you repeat what you said, or you me.” Contacts become very tolerant. “If I stutter or slur, it happens all the time. Ask me to repeat. That way we communicate. My aphasia is slight, but that’s all it is.”
“Oh that’s okay Mr. Hughes; you sound fine.”
I had it happen before. I couldn’t get words out, so my contacts got angry. They thought I was angry. Sometimes Aphasia is so bad the stroke-victim can’t talk. Sometimes they can’t write — but I sure don’t have that problem. You know all-too-well my muse can’t shaddup.
My aphasia is only slight. Often stroke-victims don’t know they have it. I met a guy at the Canandaigua YMCA: “You had a stroke. I hear it.”
“What are you taking about?”
I’ve met other stroke-victims I barely understand. Yet they aren’t aware. Thankfully I’m aware of my Aphasia. It’s slight enough I can pass for never having had a stroke. But I have Aphasia.
One stroke-victim I knew used voice-recognition on his SmartPhone. I had to translate: what did he mean? More important: why did he not edit his voice-recognition?
Maybe he wasn’t aware his voice-recognition was messy.
I needed to set up a service-call for Spectrum to come and convert me to digital. “Make sure yer boss knows you did a good job.”
I always say that, but can because I warned my contacts in advance.
“You may get a survey regarding my performance. But that’s random.”
“In that case make sure yer boss knows. Tell ‘im; you have my blessing!”

• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. It slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty finding and putting words together.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home