Monday, February 15, 2016

Suspenders


Suspenders. (Photo by Richard Lentinello.)

The first thing I said when I took my April Hemmings Classic Car magazine out of my mailbox was “suspenders.”
The car, pictured above, is a 1955 Pontiac Safari stationwagon, Pontiac’s version of the Chevrolet Nomad.
Silver-Streak illustrated.
“Suspenders” are the twin silver-streaks on the hood, the last vestige of Pontiac‘s “Silver-Streak,” whereby a chromed fluted silver streak was applied to the center of the hood. Bunkie Knudson (“NUDE-sin”) had been brought in to reverse Pontiac’s reputation as a stodgy GrandPap’s car, make it more appealing to the youth market.
The ’55 and ’56 models were the last Pontiacs with Silver-Streaks, but two instead of one.
Knudson was making the car very appealing. I had a young cousin in the Air Force who had a ‘56, a very attractive car.
The ’57 Pontiac did not have the Silver-Streak at all.
“Suspenders” goes back to a friend I had at the Messenger newspaper, Kenny Rush.
Kenny was a car-guy like me; his pride-and-joy was a black ’56 One-Fifty Chevrolet two-door sedan in his past, a “Post.”
He had removed the original motor, and wrenched in a 350 SmallBlock.
“The only thing wrong with that car,” he told me; “was it wouldn’t stop.”
He also told me about beating a 383 RoadRunner with it in a streetrace. He thereafter couldn’t stop.
Kenny was the “Golden-Boy” of the Messenger’s paste-up department. The newspaper was not yet computerized — it was the late ‘90s.
Typesetter machines made galleys on photographic paper, and those galleys were cut and waxed so they could be pasted to a full-page cardboard dummy of each newspaper page.
The completed page-dummy was then photographed to make a full-size negative of each newspaper page. The negative was used to burn a printing plate.
With computerization newspaper pages were “paginated” in a computer with Quark® software.
The completed pages were sent from computer to an image-processor, which generated a full-page negative of the page.
The negative was developed and fixed in a film-processor, then used to burn a printing-plate.
With computerization paste-up ended. The paste-up tables were removed.
By then the original Messenger offices were doubled, and the image-processor put in a separate room.
A second image-processor and developer was added.
Kenny was kept on to tend the image-processors.
Other paste-up people quit. I and the head of paste-up fell into other computer functions.
Harry Founds’ ’56 Two-Ten. (Photo by BobbaLew.)
Kenny had a picture I took long ago posted on the wall in that image-processor room: a mildly customized ’56 Chevy Two-Ten Post. It wasn’t his One-Fifty, but it looked great.
I took the picture in high-school.
As I recall, my ’56 Chevy picture was only a four-barrel 265, but four-on-the floor. The guy sold to a high-school classmate so he could buy a 409 Chevy.
Sadly Kenny developed ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease. Kenny was my age, and the last I saw him he was in a wheelchair, no longer working for the Messenger.
Kenny eventually died, but I had learned a lot from Kenny — despite noisy badmouthing (see profile above-right), I got so I could paste-up pretty good.
The guy who followed me was also badmouthed, and used to kick trashcans around.
“Suspenders” was Kenny’s word, the hood-trim on ’55 and ’56 Pontiacs.
Other Kenny words were “four-holer” versus “three-holer.”
“RoadMaster” Buicks had four portholes on each front fender. Anything less, like a “Special” or “Century,” had three portholes per side, a “three-holer.”
RoadMasters were more powerful.

• Over ten years ago I retired from the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper. Best job I ever had — I worked there almost 10 years (over 11 if you count my time as a post-stroke unpaid intern [I had a stroke October 26, 1993, from which I recovered fairly well]). (“Canandaigua” [“cannan-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city nearby where I live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 14 miles away.)
• The Chevrolet “SmallBlock” V8 was introduced at 265 cubic-inches displacement in the 1955 model-year. It continued production for years, first to 283 cubic inches, then 327, then 350. Other displacements were also manufactured. The SmallBlock is still manufactured, though much updated. The Chevrolet “Big-Block” V8 was introduced in the 1965 model-year at 396 cubic-inches, and was unrelated to the SmallBlock. It was made in various larger displacements: 402, 427 and 454 cubic inches. It’s still made as a truck-motor, but not installed in cars any more; although you can get it as a crate-motor, for self-installation. The “Big-Block” could be immensely powerful, and the “SmallBlock” was revolutionary in its time.
• “Nosing” the hood of a ’56 Chevy was big-bucks. The hood-ornament was on a quarter-inch emboss that had to be cut out and replaced. The car’s previous owner did it, not Harry. —Harry totaled the car, a tragic loss.
• Dudes, click the “409-Chevy” link.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Patrick Hartle said...

very cool about the Grady nickname!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Steven Circh said...

Hard to forget our "Golden Boy." Years ago, he invited me to his house for dinner. Kenny said I'd find him sitting in his front yard watching the cars go by. I thought he was kidding. Sure enough, that's exactly where he was when I pulled into his driveway. Truly a sweet man and solid paste-up expert.

4:23 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

Hartle, the guy who followed me was Matt Saxon

6:35 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

"Yer killin' me, Golden-boy!"

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home