Friday, February 05, 2016

Birthday

Today (Friday, February 5th, 2016) is my 72nd birthday.
My wife died at 68, almost four years ago.
She woulda made 100 if she’d not developed cancer.
Leaving me wondering why I’m still here.
I don’t expect to make 100, although I’ll probably make 90 if my health holds.
My paternal grandfather made his 90s.
I never smoked, and I work out.
My wife’s mother will turn 100 on Valentine’s Day.
Model-T Ford to man-on-the-Moon.
Which means my wife died before her mother.
Yer not supposed to outlive yer children.
My wife’s mother also wonders why she’s still alive.
She’s still in independent-living, a small apartment in a retirement-center in De Land, FL.
She helps out “the old folks,” who are of course way younger than her.
She can’t see — macular degeneration.
Her 74-year-old son keeps tabs on her.
Which I find ironic since they were always at each other’s throats.
My wife’s mother turning 100 requires a HUGE shindig. Relatives from all over the country are going to De Land.
I reserved to fly down Friday the 12th, and back home Monday the 15th.
Dare I say, I’m scared.
I know that’s not manly, but I had a stroke over 22 years ago.
My wife and I used to fly to Orlando to visit her mother.
My wife, having visited her mother more often than me, was familiar with Orlando Airport.
I used to let her lead. This happened with other things. My wife used to make phonecalls for me, and sort out problems.
My stroke left me somewhat incompetent, more tentative than anything.
My flying down there is the first time I’ve done anything like that since my wife died.
I’ve made long motor-trips, and been to Altoona, PA many times to chase trains — I’m a railfan.
But I’ve never flown anywhere. It was always me and my wife.
Now I’m alone. I’m more comfortable just staying put, and fiddling this here ‘pyooter.
My wife’s brother will pick me up.

• My wife of over 44 years died April 17th, 2012. I miss her immensely.
• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993, from which I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anmari said...

Happy Birthday, Grady!!! Thank you for the calendar. Beautiful! -Anmari

9:25 AM  
Blogger cg said...

Happy Birthday, Hughes!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

Happy Birthday Bob!! Have a great trip!!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home