Sunday, April 19, 2015

Geezer triumph

The classical-music radio-station out of Rochester (NY) I listen to, WXXI FM 91.5, has an “app” for getting its stream on your SmartPhone.
I have a SmartPhone, an Apple iPhone6.
The other day my niece’s daughter fired up iTunes radio on my SmartPhone. We wanted to add a station, so I suggested WXXI.
My niece’s daughter apparently got the WXXI app from Apple’s app-store.
So there it was, WXXI on my SmartPhone.
But it wasn’t 91.5. WXXI has a number of radio-stations, one of which is AM 1370, talk and news radio.
That was what was playing on my SmartPhone.
I thought my niece’s daughter had used an app she had gotten through iTunes radio. So I wondered if I could get 91.5 without getting the WXXI app. But you can’t. iTunes radio, like Sirius, has a classical music feed, but it’s not WXXI, and you can’t get WXXI. You have to have the WXXI app.
So now I attempted to get a 91.5 app.
This was the source of my confusion, that each WXXI radio-station had its own app, like AM 1370, FM 91.5, etc.
Not only that, the WXXI app displays as 1370 at Apple’s app-store.
But the single WXXI app can get all the streams. Once fired up, you select which stream you want.
Around-and-around we went. My hairdresser, who got me into a SmartPhone in the first place, tried to get a 91.5 app. You can’t; although you can get a 91.5 stream from Streemer.com.
We were supposed to be doing a haircut, yet here we were horsing all over the universe.
I departed without getting WXXI on my SmartPhone — although my hair was cut.
It just so happens I’m friends with Brenda Tremblay (“trom-blay;” as in “trombone”), morning host at 91.5. We’re both graduates of Houghton College (“HO-tin;” as in “hoe,” not “how” or “who”), although I much earlier than she.
She’s the daughter of people who graduated Houghton a year or two before me.
So I asked if she could help me.
I got a follow-up call from a WXXI tech-guru, and began to realize the WXXI app might be “one app gets all streams,” after which I select the stream I want.
I’m not desperate. It’s not like I’m gonna play 91.5 on my SmartPhone every waking minute.
But I surmised installing it shouldn’t be rocket-science, and Brenda told me it was a “piece of cake.”
Once I ascertained it was “one app gets all,” I downloaded the app and installed it.
I then fired it up.
VIOLA! Victory for the Old Geezer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home