Sunday, April 12, 2015

Easter, Part-Two

I got a response to my “Easter” blog implying I was negatory toward Erlton Community Baptist Church, the church of my childhood. It seems unrelated to what I was saying, that Easter seems to have declined.
Like all human endeavors, Erlton Community Baptist Church (ECBC) had pockets of madness that stood out no matter how beneficial it may have been otherwise.
And I had the awful temerity and unmitigated gall and horrific audacity to mention them.
Despite the Biblical admonition to “judge not lest ye be judged,” there were parties at Erlton Community Baptist Church all-too-happy to pass judgment.
Fortunately in my teenage church in northern DE, there was a tiny minority of members who “had a burden” for youth, and meant a lot since they didn’t pass judgment on us.
Erlton Community Baptist Church was generally pleasant, but there were members all-too-happy to badmouth we youth.
This seems to occur in all human endeavors, and ECBC is a human endeavor.
The founding pastor was great, but there were people in the church who were psychopaths.
Churches seem to engender “holier-than-thou” behavior, and ECBC had it.
It wasn’t a major problem, but they judged me.
The Sunday-school superintendent declared I was “of-the-Devil” because I dressed up as Elvis Presley for Halloween.
Of course, I wasn’t dwelling on that, just how Easter seems to have declined.
I read the Patterson blog, and pretty much agree with it.
But there were pockets of madness at Erlton Community Baptist Church.
I suspect it may have been my use of the term “zealots.” Were it not for the “zealotry” of my father, Mrs. Walton, and anyone else who contributed (I’m sure there were others), Erlton Community Baptist Church might have never been founded, and the humble Ellisburg Chapel burned to the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home