Monday, March 30, 2015

Legacy/digital tipping

I keep wondering why I get University of Rochester’s “Legacy” magazine, the intent of which seems to get me to bequeath a HUGE legacy to U. of R.
I didn’t attend U. of R., nor did my wife. The only U. of R. graduate in my family is my wife’s brother, who received his degree in 1964, and pretty much left U. of R. behind.
The only reason I think I get the magazine is my wife got treated at Wilmot (“will-MOTT”) Cancer Center, which is affiliated with U. of R. Medicine.
U. of R. Medicine is now the largest employer in Rochester, now that Yellow-Father (Kodak) is pretty much gone. U. of R. Medicine includes Strong Hospital, and Wilmot Cancer Center is part of that.
I also give money to Wilmot’s Palliative Care Center, who treated my wife her final days.
I usually give them $100, but they suggest $50,000.
Are they kidding?
I didn’t get to where I could crunch $50,000 by just giving will-nilly.
To me $50,000 is a chopped ’32 Ford three-window coupe with a Chevy V8.
Last night a report was on the national TV news about digital tipping, where apparently a calculator figures and adds your tip at checkout.
You punch in the percentage, 20%, 30%, or even 50%.
50% my foot!
They ain’t gettin’ no 50%!
I know restaurant waitresses (excuse me: “servers”) rely on tipping. Their wages are peanuts.
Where is the Big Man when you need him? (Be careful with this link. F-bombs galore.)
What do they think I am? A bottomless pit?
A while ago I was tipping 15%, but my wife badgered me up to 20%. Now they suggest 30%. 50% is outrageous.
Why don’t employers pay their help more and increase their prices to cover the added expense?
No, we gotta practice this charade of low prices and add a tip.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home