Wednesday, March 18, 2015

No more

The other night (Sunday, March15th, 2015) I got one of those phonecalls I wish I hadn’t answered.
It was to my cellphone. I don’t even answer my landline any more. It’s usually someone wanting money, a telemarketer or a bleeding-heart charity.
My landline doesn’t have caller-ID; in fact its ID function is turned off. It does have voicemail, so I figure if the call is important they can leave a message.
My cellphone does have caller-ID, and if I get a call from someone in my contact-list, it names the caller.
Sometimes I get a call from someone not in my contact-list, so I don’t get a name, but I get a phone-number if they have caller-ID.
What I’ve been doing is answering anything from my local area-code, 585, because it’s usually someone I know.
No more. 585 or not they can leave a message.
Not after this strange call, which was from 585.
After struggling through various hellos — it sounded like my nephew in northern DE — ”This is a courtesy-call,” the dude said.
“From who?” I should have asked.
“We’re suspicious of your data-usage. It’s out-of-site.”
“Funny,” I said. “I haven’t used any data all day.”
“You’ve exceeded your minimum data-usage by $260.
You gotta watch your data-usage.
I’m gonna go ahead and charge this to your account.”
“Whaaaa?” I said. He was talking so fast I couldn’t understand him.
“Too late, it’s already processing,” he snapped.
“Whatever,” I said, and hung up.
You gotta do better, dude. I’ve already had my credit-card bank call three times to report unauthorized charges to my account.
They were much more professional.
I’ll bet this month’s cellphone bill looks no different than last month’s. If it has a $260 data-charge I’ll call my provider.
Once they called to report I’d exceeded my minutes allowance. That was when my deceased wife was in the hospital, and we didn’t know any better.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer almost three years ago. I miss her dearly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anmari said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to answer your phone. There's crazy shit going down and I'm sorry you had to be victim to a sadistic prank.

(((((hugs)))))

6:29 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

This month’s cellphone bill no different than last month.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home