Saturday, June 22, 2013

“This is the fourth card”

I am currently without a computer-printer, so I set about ordering another printer online from the Epson site.
My failed printer is an Epson Stylus Photo 1280. It’s at least 10 years old.
I keyed in the entire order, including my credit-card. It didn’t crunch. My credit-card wouldn’t crunch.
I tried again; again failure.
I called Epson. Try ordering by phone.
We set up the complete order, and again my credit-card wouldn’t crunch.
“Use another card,” they suggested.
“I can’t,” I said. “This is the only credit-card I have.” Silly me, only one credit-card to keep track of. Un-American, I tell ya!
I called my bank, the 800-number on the back of my credit-card.
I explained the problem to “Credit-Card Services,” and they determined the account was blocked. I was referred to Security.
“There is a suspicious charge,” they said. “It’s not much, from Evergreen Motel for $7.40.”
“I never heard of Evergreen Motel,” I said.
“Okay, what this is is someone trying your account to see if it works. Someone has your credit-card information.”
SLAM! Account closed!
“We’ll send you a new card with a new number. You’ll get it tomorrow.
Any more questions, Mr. Hughes?”
“Yeah , how do you guys find this stuff? This is the third time. I’ve had that account since 1969, and this is my fourth card. The third card was about three years ago, and the second maybe three years before that.”
“Well, that’s what we’re here for. We monitor your account. The suspicious charge wasn’t actually initiated by Evergreen Motel. That’s what flagged it.”
“I haven’t had to eat anything yet, and one charge was over $1,000!”
“You won’t. You’re never liable for fraudulent charges. These criminals are savvy, but we find ‘em.”

• “Mr. Hughes” is me, Bob Hughes, Bobbalew.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home