Sunday, March 24, 2013

What hath BlogSpot wrought?

This here blog-site has made another one if its unannounced changes I discover when something didn’t post as intended.
This site can crunch HTML, which I do very basically, to underline, italicize, and embolden.
Not too long ago they instituted a new user-interface, unannounced of course. I found it didn’t do the usual paragraph-drops with the paragraph-key.
But if I did it HTML, it crunched the <br>-tag, equivalent to a one-line paragraph-drop.
Solved that problem! That was what I wanted. You see paragraph-drops in my final posting just like before.
But I had to do them myself. BlogSpot wasn’t doing it. To me that ain’t “user-friendly.”
Recently I noticed it no longer crunched the <p>-tag. The <p>-tag is what HTML calls the paragraph-tag.
Except it delivers a two-line paragraph-drop, which I don’t want because it uses too much space.
Sometimes I use a two-line drop, so I was finding/replacing <br><br> to <p>.
I no longer use the <p>-tag.
Solved yet another!
Quite often I ran pictures that weren’t column-width.
For column-width pictures I wrote my own HTML picture-tag, so Granny’s Internet-Explorer didn’t go haywire.
If I used a regular HTML picture-tag for a column-width picture, IE goofed it up. At least the IE version at that time; I don’t know about now.
For pictures less-than-column-width I used an HTML picture-table tag.
It gave me a wrap. The picture might fill part of the column, and text filled the remaining part.
I usually run my less-than-column-width pictures flush-left, although I can run them flush-right.
My picture-table tag had three table-rows. One was the picture itself, the second was the byline, and third was the caption.
After that the picture-table ended (</table>).
Now I notice a new glitch.
The picture-table is no longer ending at the </table>. It’s ending after my byline table-row.
My caption was appearing atop my wrapped text.
What hath BlogSpot wrought? (Or in other words: NOW WHAT?”)
Or How do I get around this?
Have I gotta dump all my less-than-column-width pictures, and/or do only column-width?
Or how about just go-with-the-flow, and do only one table-row below the picture, to be a caption and/or byline.
Quite often my less-than-column-width pictures are only screenshots lacking a byline. They can get by with only a caption, or nothing.
Occasionally I use a picture that needs a byline more than a caption.
In which case I flush-right a byline instead of a caption flush-left.
If my less-than-column-width picture needs both a byline and caption, I can stick it all in one table-row. If it’s too wide, it bumps to a second-or-third line.
What I fear most is the all-knowing authorities at BlogSpot reading this blog. They decide to “fix,” then lob some unannounced “fix” at me that screws things up even more, and I have to parry.
Or worse yet, what are they gonna throw at me next, unrelated to what I just said? Unannounced of course.
Pictures from only Picassa? Mine are from PhotoBucket via an http address.
As I understand it, BlogSpot and Picassa are Google, and Google is trying to take over the entire known universe.
(They wanna replace my local e-mail with GMail.)
In other words, I predict a fevered power-grab.
Wrastling-time.
At least PhotoBucket warned me it was gonna “improve” their user-interface.
“Improved” for some, perhaps, but not for this kid.

• “HTML” is Hyper-Text Markup Language, a background instruction system made invisible in text by surrounding carets (“<” and “>”). I use it only to embolden, underline and italicize text, although it can do other things. I do paragraph drops with it. My picture-inserts and links are also via HTML-tag.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger cg said...

If you would just learn to use a regular P(ersonal) C(omputer) like the rest of the world you wouldn't be having these problems.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home