Friday, March 15, 2013

90 degrees or 60 degrees?


Is there a motivator under all this stuff? (Photo by BobbaLew.)

I finally did my duty last night (Thursday, March 14th, 2013).
I opened the hood of my new (newer) car, and Googled Wiki Duratec.
My Ford Escape has the V6 Duratec FFV engine, three liters displacement.
My wife, who died almost a year ago, said she knew I’d had a stroke because I was no longer charging into every internal-combustion engine.
Before my stroke I was, but after I was no longer interested.
So the entire time I considered my newer car I never popped the hood.
This is extraordinary!
I knew it was a V6. The information said it was, plus I also drove an inline-4 Escape, and it ran rougher.
So what do we have here?
I finally popped the hood last week after I’d already bought the car, and it was in my garage.
Lots of plastic ducting and wires. I couldn’t make sense of that I saw.
I couldn’t even tell if the engine was transverse (between the front wheels, 90 degrees from the length of the car), or parallel to the length of the car — the way older cars have been for years; for example the Model-T Ford.
After poking around I discerned the engine-block. It was transversely mounted.
Now, is it a 90-degree V6, or 60 degrees? That is, the degree separation between the cylinder-banks of the V.
A 60-degree V6 is inherently balanced, a 90-degree V6 isn’t.
A 90-degree V6 is like a 90-degree V8 with two cylinders lopped off. A 90-degree V8 is inherently balanced.
Chevrolet did that. Lopping two cylinders off their SmallBlock V8 gave them a V6.
But their engine needed a balance-shaft; otherwise it ran rough.
Buick had a 90-degree V6 too, and they offset the cylinder crank-throws to make it run smoother.
Ford’s V6 began with a 60-degree V6 designed in Great Britain — imported but inherently balanced.
My Duratec engine is years later, but it looks like 60 degrees.
I was hoping my Wiki Duratec article would tell me, but it didn’t.
Seeing my engine-block under all that plastic ducting is almost impossible, but it looks like 60 degrees.

• “Wiki” is Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia.
• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, from which I pretty much recovered.
• The Chevrolet “SmallBlock” V8 was introduced at 265 cubic-inches displacement in the 1955 model-year. It continued production for years, first to 283 cubic inches, then 327, then 350. Other displacements were also manufactured. The Chevrolet “Big-Block” V8 was introduced in the 1965 model-year at 396 cubic-inches, and was unrelated to the SmallBlock. It was made in various larger displacements: 402, 427 and 454 cubic inches. It’s still made as a truck-motor, but not installed in cars any more; although you can get it as a crate-motor, for self-installation. The “Big-Block” could be immensely powerful, and the “SmallBlock” was revolutionary in its time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger cg said...

Duratec engines include:

2.5-liter, 60-degree overhead-cam, with four valves per cylinder, producing 170 hp and 165 ft-lb torque.
3.0-liter, 60-degree overhead-cam, with four valves per cylinder, producing 200 hp and 200 ft.-lb. of torque.

Vulcan engines include:

3.0-liter 60-degree overhead-valve, with hydraulic lifters and two valves per cylinder, producing 155 hp and 186 ft-lb of torque.
3.8-liter 90-degree overhead-valve, with hydraulic roller tappets and two valves per cylinder, producing 193 hp and 225 ft-lb of torque.


http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13624

6:51 AM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

It’s the 60-degree 200-horsepower 3-liter Duratec, four valves per cylinder. It sure ain’t the 90-degree 4.3-liter V6 that was in my Astrovan, which ran rougher.

6:55 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:58 PM  
Blogger BobbaLew said...

Trying again, I also did a Wiki “Duratec” search, and came up with 89 bazilyun variations, none of which seemed to be my engine. Some were even inline fours.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home